RMweb

Sotherington Lane - Early 1970's Southern Region 3rd-rail electrified branch line

Geep7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Geep7 said:

I have something that I have been pondering, which i'd like to open up to the collective mind of RMWeb.

You'll see from the track-plan and photos, that the siding to the new factory i'm building is currently served via a double-slip. The question I have is, should I really swap this out for a single-slip, so that the factory siding is only accessed from the lower platform road?

lackshelf-extended-e-crop.jpg.cc96e047014e3171ba223b3e2461b03a.jpg

The station itself is imagined to be on a passing loop, so technically there is no up or down lines, but generally passenger trains would arrive on the upper/rear platform and depart on the lower/front platform.

So, should the double-slip stay, or should it go? I will, at this stage, also point out, if I haven't done previously, that the siding has a catch/trap point protecting the passenger lines.

Was the line that reaches the right side of the board a through line? If it was through running line a single slip would be preferred, but not essential. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably, the goods train for the siding would arrive on the top platform, then run round via the lower and propel it from the top platform into the siding.  So yes, you do need it.

However, if you take it out, operationally it might be more interesting in that the goods train arrives on the top platform, shunts forward and then is propelled into the lower platform.  Then the loco runs round via the top platform and propels the wagons into the factory siding via the lower platform single slip.

Hope this helps/is of interest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, simon b said:

Was the line that reaches the right side of the board a through line? If it was through running line a single slip would be preferred, but not essential. 

Yes, it is imagined that this is a truncated branch line, although, never say never, I may add a second fiddle yard at the right-hand end, if I can get planning permission, and turn it into a true through station.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, C126 said:

Presumably, the goods train for the siding would arrive on the top platform, then run round via the lower and propel it from the top platform into the siding.  So yes, you do need it.

However, if you take it out, operationally it might be more interesting in that the goods train arrives on the top platform, shunts forward and then is propelled into the lower platform.  Then the loco runs round via the top platform and propels the wagons into the factory siding via the lower platform single slip.

Hope this helps/is of interest.

The goods train would usually arrive on the goods loop, below the lower platform.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

The goods train would usually arrive on the goods loop, below the lower platform.

Sorry.  'Read full track diagram' at leisure is the lesson I learn here.  Thanks.  Yours over-hastily, Neil.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at the cost of a brand-new code-75 single-slip, if I can get away with the double-slip being there, then i'll gladly do it, but I want to make sure, before I solder the new siding in place across the baseboard joint, as after that, getting the double slip back out could be tricky.... However, the double-slip wouldn't go to waste, as there are other layout projects it can be used on (my HO Spanish layout for one).

My instinct is:

IMG_0064.jpeg.5f8031c17005e6e8ed7e684e1fb45885.jpeg

But, having bought track last week, I’m very sensitive to the point(!) made above. I deliberately buy anything that I need, and which he stocks, from the local model shop, which involves full catalogue price, and even for a tiny layout the price is very full!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Geep7 said:

Yes, it is imagined that this is a truncated branch line, although, never say never, I may add a second fiddle yard at the right-hand end, if I can get planning permission, and turn it into a true through station.

In that case swap it for a single slip, otherwise it will bug you later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all..... single slip ordered!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And the single-slip is now in place.

single-slip.jpg.3326da2750530bac199dd2cafe0005af.jpg

Sprayed with Railmatch Sleeper Grime, and the feed and frog wires soldered on. All I need to do is connect the wires up with the bus wires and feeds from the juicers, and it'll all be good to go. It'll have to wait until the layout is next on it's back though.

factory_18mar24.jpg.2b35854924dbdd1bab16e25641e0e99f.jpg

And some more progress done on the factory building. The window apertures have been cut out, and strengtheners for the goods platform roof added. I've also made the structure for the boiler house, and cut down the chimney. It's a little bit lower than the height of the backscene at the moment, but once the plasticard cladding for the roof has been added, it should be just the same height.

Hopefully some further progress can be made later this week and at the weekend. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If I may yet again ask for some assistance. The factory I am building, is planned to be brick built, but what bond should it be?

I'm imagining that it was built in the 1930's, so not sure if it would be Flemish bond, English bond, or just plain stretcher bond?

Any brick experts out there that can help?

• RMweb Gold

So i've been doing some digging around on the internet, and it looks like there are factories built out of all types..... so I guess it's down to what brick plasticard I have in stock.

• RMweb Gold

The 1930's brick-work text-book I have recommends throughout English bond for its strength, so I would suggest that, but I also prefer it æsthetically, so this is biased.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

So there was no progress with the layout over the Easter weekend as I was away visiting the in-laws in Dorset. However, the weekend before saw some progress, with a start being made on fitting the point motors. The first motor fitted was for the first point coming out of the fiddle yard, controlling access to the goods loop and yard. This was fairly simple to fit. I am using the Gaugemaster solenoid motors with fitted screw terminals. Even though the baseboard surface is fairly thin, it still required the extension pin being used. Once this was fitted, I started looking at the other points, and realised I had 2 or 3 that were being blocked by baseboard crossmembers. Two of these I have had to surface mount against the backscene, and the other (yet to fit) will have to be fitted underneath away from the point with a modified wire in tube method being employed.

The two surface mounted point motors are also using the modified wire in tub method, i.e, a wire with no tube.

Pointmotor1.jpg.9f0fe5817992c2657d4ae0b109a8e931.jpg       Pointmotor2.jpg.1b659c4ccd874d23cc8e4a7b62b3ae4f.jpg 

The point motor in the first photo, which operates one switch of the double-slip, will be hidden under an embankment, but I am considering having some house backs over the top, so they can be removed for access. I did consider perhaps a TP hut, but not sure if I would need one on this line. The 2nd point motor pictured will either be hidden under a larger factory building, or perhaps a platelayers hut, but I think it's a bit far back from the tracks for the later.

I also managed to lay the siding to the factory. This was glued in place with foam tack glue, and the track soldered to brass screws either side of the baseboard join, and then cut with a razor saw. As you will see, I still need to glue in place the additional sleepers that were removed at the joints.

factory_track_laid.jpg.6466fba7edcd7f523dd05f91cc0ffafb.jpg

I am also considering making the siding inset into concrete where it is covered. I'm not sure how prototypical this would be, but I think it might have been a possibility.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, C126 said:

The 1930's brick-work text-book I have recommends throughout English bond for its strength, so I would suggest that, but I also prefer it æsthetically, so this is biased.

Thank you, yes, I did wonder if English bond might be the better one to go with. Haven't looked through my plasticard stash yet, but I seem to recall I only have plain and Flemish bond....

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So a bit of slow progress made over the past couple of evenings on the retaining wall along the rear of the left hand side of the layout.

retainingwall-4thApril24.jpg.ce0a5b3d95196ae8d4cd9cb0672d91f3.jpg

There will be an embankment from the bridge and down the slope, covered in undergrowth and a few bushes and trees, and then on the level, I will have a couple of house backs. Probably the rear of a fairly new housing estate, of the type that appeared all over the south in the mid to late 1960's. I already have a laser cut kit, one that came free with BRM a few years back, so I might use this, perhaps as an interim until I can scratch build some.

With the factory and now some houses on the back of the layout, rather than being distinctly countryside, it's starting to feel a little more outer suburban, so perhaps it's imaginary location of being somewhere a bit south of Bordon isn't so good, and maybe I should move it somewhere closer to London perhaps?

You may also have noticed that I have painted the platform sides, and tops. The tops are just in a shade of black in preparation for the emery sheets to be glued in place. The white areas, are where I have filled in a couple of screw holes (to initially keep the platform in place) and filed back smooth. The platform is now held down by screws from underneath the board, but will eventually be glued in place.

Whilst the Peco sides are moulded in coloured plastic approximating concrete, painting them takes away the plastic shine. I have been experimenting with what shade of paint to use for well aged concrete, since my customary paint, Polly Scale Aged Concrete, is no longer in production. The paint shade here, and brush painted, is Stone Grey by Vallejo in the Model Color range, which I think looks pretty good. I have also sprayed the footbridge with Army Painter Skeleton Bone, which seems to give a similar colour. Obviously both will need a good amount of weathering added too.

footbridgeinprimer.jpg.7753f26e66f8eb83c473ea3cbf663d56.jpg

ideasforstation.jpg.b4bf6be56c60ee1937d38b3ad9de6105.jpg

Something else I have been pondering. So the exit to the station is via this footbridge, and I think it's safe to say there would be some sort of barrow crossing (as marked in red) to allow luggage, etc. to be transferred out of the station. Also the crossing would continue to the other side to allow the signalman to collect the single-line token (when the line used to continue further south/west). The area marked with the blue rectangle i'm wondering if there would be a small station building / booking hall of some sort? Maybe one of the those fairly modern looking CLASP style buildings? Single story so as not to overpower the scene too much.

However, i'm not 100% sure if this would be prototypical at all. I know at Waddon Marsh, people used to buy their tickets from the signalbox, but this was situated between the tracks at the end of the platform, but I don't have the room to do that here. Maybe I could just get away with one of those red ticket kiosks and just some gates? Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since my last update, as i've been slowly doing some things on the layout that really are a bit laborious. I have now got all the point motors mounted and all the feed wires added, and i'm slowly getting the wiring done. I still have to create a small control panel for the switches (and somewhere to hide the CDU).

On the scenic side, things have been a little slower, due to a slight slump in mojo. But I don't really want to rush things, so i've been doing stuff as and when i've felt like it.

Progress has been made on the retaining walls.

retainingwall.jpg.67c874d101af912370b3dbf0d10b560b.jpg

Here is a photo of the shorter retaining wall, with the joint filled, filed back, and re-scribed. I've also added, piers, or are they buttresses?, but whatever they are called, i've added them, breaking up the plain length of wall. The retaining wall the other side has been treated similarly, just it's a bit longer.

Embankmentmock-up.jpg.4a9b6343b10eaad400253847c6b577b3.jpg

This photo shows a mock-up of how I think the rear retaining wall might look with the house back (or backs if I decide on having more). Hence the glue stick for support. I have just purchased myself a static grass applicator, so these retaining walls will be my first to feature static grass. I think I shall have to practice on something separate first.

expandedfiddleyard.jpg.f768ba4d9748210088640a993e21f18a.jpgSomething I did do over the bank holiday weekend is change the sector plate on the fiddle yard, so that it now has 5 tracks. I was getting worried that 3 tracks would be a bit restrictive to operation sessions, so i'm now much happier, as it now allows 1-2 tracks for passengers trains, and 3-4 for freight traffic.

The plan for this weekend is to continue with the wiring of the points. I currently still have the actuating arms left over-length, so i'm unable to run anything on the layout, and i'm reluctant to cut them short, until I have the whole thing wired up.

For the control panel, I have 2 designs in mind; 1, a full mimic panel, with the switches positioned on each switch, or 2, have the switches in a row along the bottom of the panel, as per a lever frame, with just a numbered track diagram above. I am rather tempted with number 2, which would mean, each point has it's own switch, sprung on/off/on momentary switches, with pushing up or down, changing the point in that direction. And no point motors linked to change at the same time.

Option 1 would allow for linked point motors. So, for instance, in the photo above, the point from the front platform road and the catch point, could be changed simultaneously from one switch. I have done this previously, but it's not very prototypical.

One point (excuse the pun) to make, is that if I was using slow-action switch machines, I would probably be going with Option 2, and a full mimic lever frame. But as they are solenoids, this would be a little overkill, hence the momentary switches.

More to update hopefully after this weekend, unless I enjoy the warm weather too much.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Although I have been following this build, from a distance, I missed the question about a possible station building/booking hall.

I was born in Exeter, within sight and sound of Exmouth Junction, and the concrete works there.

The nearby Polsloe Bridge Halt was the first station to use the prefabricated concrete station products,

there was a platform shelter on the upside, but a shelter/ticket office on the down platform,

This is the shelter on the up platform

Polsloe Bridge Shelter

From Flickr by Gavin Kerr.

And a photo here,

Pacer at Polsloe Bridge

Flickr Photo in 2010 by Ray Pettit

The down platform with the shelter/booking office in the distance is here

4 056

Flickr by pdsteveo

Edit - I will try to find a better closer view of the down platform building on the right hand side of this view. 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Wikipedia site gives another closer view of the concrete shelter/booking office on the down platform at Polsloe Bridge.

Once the Exmouth Branch was singled the down platform at Polsloe Bridge became disused, and has been subsequently overgrown by ivy,

cheers 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Doing a quick Google search, and there look to be a couple of images of the down platform shelter / office.... The window in it looks very similar to one that would be fitted to a platelayers hut.....

Thanks, that's given me something to think about, and maybe a design I might be able to work with.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So no pictures, but there was progress over the weekend. All the point motors have had their feed wires added, and joined to a screw terminal. It's amazing quite how long a task like this takes, it's only 10 point motors, but took the best part of Sunday afternoon in between enjoying the sunshine, and the almost pointless task of washing the car (it's already covered again in that fine sand that seems to blow in from the Med).

Saturday was spent at my parents, and doing a bit of n gauge modelling, doing a mock-up of the bridge and raised roadway on the layout my father and I are building for my nephew. Well, I say my nephew, as it seems to have turned into a joint project.

As a turn for the books, my son has expressed his desire for a model railway layout of his own, but, it has to be American, based on my old American HO layouts. Quite where this has come from, I don't know, but kids these days do seem to be more exposed to US children's programmes that when I was young in the 80's..... I suppose having a whole internets worth of content available, compared to 3 channels will do something. Also, he would remember my 2nd HO American layout from when he was younger, so there is that. I have discussed with my wife, and we think, due to space, we may have to do American N gauge (another scale!), even though I do have all my HO American stock still, packed away at my parents.

Anyway, back to the current OO project, and once the feeds were in place, I went into QA mode (i'm a software tester by trade, so I always have to test everything), and checked each point motor fired correctly and nothing was sticking. To my relief, everything worked first time (for once), so I took the step of trimming back the actuation rods.

Next up is wiring up the point feeds from the jumper cable to each point, and then source a control panel. The smaller laser cut one that Scale Model Scenery make, seems ideal, although I am tempted to knock one up myself. However, a laser cut one would save me time, of which I have very little to spare these days.

One other thing I have forgotten to update, and take a photo of, is that I managed to add the surface to the station platform. It's looking rather good, but needs a spray of matt varnish, just to take away the gloss of some of the PVA glue that got on the surface.... But I will do that once i've done some weathering, and maybe added some darker patches to suggest repairs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thought I would quickly add some photos of the progress with the station platform.

platformcomplete.jpg.4a3edbb1a1e02549a7cd8644d0aa31fe.jpg

platformcloseup.jpg.e5e5b685cec26ebf70d02305ef29d26d.jpg

I'm not sure if it does need a coat of matt varnish. Perhaps just some weathering over the glue marks......

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi all. So, i'd like to reach out to the RMweb collective, and see what suggestions I could have for my latest issue.....

backscenesuggestion.jpg.4ce4800ac768ce37bb40e53fbc2f009d.jpg

So in the above photo, i'm showing the existing factory building, still yet to be finished...... The cream mount board is where the additional factory building is going to go.

The help I need is with the point motor to the left of the cream mount board, and how to hide it. Whatever I place over it will need to be removable, in case the point motor goes kaput. It's probably never likely to, but you just know that if I glue something over it, Murphy's law means it will go pop right in the middle of an exhibition (should I ever get around to exhibiting the layout).

So, my thoughts are something like a signalling relay box? A TP hut for the third rail? Considering that the line used to continue on to the right (I am seriously considering adding the ability for this to work as well with an additional fiddle yard), would a TP hut be realistic in this sense? A smaller building for the factory? Thoughts are welcome....

• Geep7 changed the title to Sotherington Lane - Early 1970's Southern Region electrified branch line - Some Suggestions Please