Bachmann Sound Cards

Monjac

I have fitted chips and sound card to DCC ready Hornby.  No problem. Easy system of numbers /type / Class etc.etc.

But where do you buy Bachmann chips and Sound cards  for DCC ready models- e.g. N.RM Deltic.?

What is the system ?

Help much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

In my experience, I’d say that different models (particularly dependant on age) have different types of decoder socket, be they  6, 18, 21 pin etc. but when sourcing an appropriate decoder, they could potentially be any make, as long as they align with the pin configuration. The sound itself may well be added to decoder after manufacture by any of the various retailers who do so, with the sound tailored specifically to a loco class.

The loco box will probably be labelled as 6DCC, or 21DCC etc. but of course you may need to add a speaker, although more recent models do come with a speaker pre-installed.
Just look in the model railway press, or on websites, and you’ll find numerous providers with several different makes of decoders.

Ian

36 minutes ago, Monjac said:

Thanks for your reply. Am I correct in thinking that Bachmann do not sell an actual product for an engine- e.g Deltic ?

Yes, Bachmann don't supply their sound decoders separately, you'll have to go a third part supplier such as Digitrains, Legomanbiffo (DC Kits), Roads and Rails etc.

Simon 

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann don’t make decoders but use various others usually marketed under their own label when sold separately.  

I’d suggest looking at  https://www.youchoos.co.uk

Not only do they cover such as the Deltic they have very useful install guides for both the Bachmann & Farish models. Very helpful people easily contacted by e-mail. Usual disclaimer. 

Bob

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Monjac said:

Thanks for your reply. Am I correct in thinking that Bachmann do not sell an actual product for an engine- e.g Deltic ?

Yes, Bachmann provide DCC ready, DCC fitted and Sound fitted locos but while they retail non-sound decoders from various makers under their own label for retro-fitting to DCC ready locos they don't do sound installs.

Bob