Budget dcc setup for shelf layout or testing

resluke

Hi all,

I do not yet have a layout and won’t for some time due to family commitments and space. I am however keen to get cracking with retrofitting dcc to my Lima locos and fitting coach lighting.

From a standing start, with a small amount of peco track, what is the cheapest way get set up for DCC so I could test when each item is complete?

I’ve searched on here and watched a lot of YouTube videos. I think I need some even more simple advice, specifically about what power supply I’d need to the track.

From what I have read I’d like to avoid the Hornby select as I may use LaisDCC chips to start with as a cheaper solution (or may get a small number of ESU chips). 

I don’t have sufficient budget to go down an NCE Power Cab route, and for my needs at this time it is overkill. I will invest in a DCC control system in years to come when I can build a full layout - I’m very much looking for an interim, very budget, solution.

Thanks all, in advance, for your thoughts. 

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, trevora said:

If you have a pc look at these

SPROG Computer Interfaces

or maybe a raspbery PI

I have both a Sprog 2 and Sprog no longer used complete with transformer for Sale if your interested.

• Like 1