4x2’ N gauge heritage railway layout

jonhinds

I’m planning my next layout and settled on a heritage station loosely modelled on contemporary Damems Station on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. I’ve added a passing loop and a pair of sidings to the prototype for operational interest. Board is 4x2 ft. Turnouts are B7.

This will be my 2nd layout using code 40 track from British Finescale and Cobalt Digital point motors. I’m also interested in block detection.

The track plan is relatively simple as my interest is in filling out the landscape detail behind the station. Final placement of buildings not certain, although the single platform will be located as indicated.

I may consider adding a further goods siding behind the station and making one of the turnouts on the loop three-way to accommodate.

Littleworth_2mm.jpg.772260e3daaf80db6c026222194a32e5.jpg

• Like 2

I like the idea and am interested to see where it goes, but I don't believe Damems ever had a loop.  I think it was just a one-coach platform and a mill siding.  You did say loosely inspired by so that might not be an issue, and the real plan might not have enough interest so rule 1 as always.

Looks like its pretty much optimised already, you can't get a siding behind th platform with a 3 way as you already have the curved road of the point in the main line a 3 way would only allow an extra siding outside.    It's a problem with all small oval layouts, curve radius vs straight length especially if you want to have a significant hidden section.      I would suggest not using a Table type baseboard with track at "Ground Zero" but something more adventurous with scenery below track level as well as above.  Damens is  on a hillside I believe.   A surprising number of stations have rivers and roads running under them, or over them, roads that is, though I suppose somewhere there is a river running over a station?

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Coder Tim said:

I like the idea and am interested to see where it goes, but I don't believe Damems ever had a loop.  I think it was just a one-coach platform and a mill siding.  You did say loosely inspired by so that might not be an issue, and the real plan might not have enough interest so rule 1 as always.

The loop at Damens starts about 200 yards up the line from Damens station.

8 hours ago, TonyMay said:

The loop at Damens starts about 200 yards up the line from Damens station.

Yes, as mentioned the layout is only loosely inspired by Damems, and features a loop and sidings found elsewhere on the real KWVR. I’ll probably name it something along the lines of ‘Littleworth’ so it’s apparent I’m not reproducing the real thing.