EFE Rail - Winter 2023 Announcements inc. Southern 'Booster'

AY Mod

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Better not go there, I have already had two nasty responses to a very simple question just asking if the model was missing something.

Don't play the martyr now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I think that you made the mistake of assuming that low price equals low spec.

The story that we have been fed is that high spec. equals high price - perhaps not so convincing a premise now?!?

CJI.

It's coming in very similar to what Accurascale are charging for Co-Co locos. Whilst I accept that steam engines are likely to be higher in price due to their valve gear which will increase assembly costs, I do think that Bachmann and Heljan have become massively over priced in recent years. The contrast is most stark for the class 37 where Bachmann and Accurascale are directly competing. The Bachmann model is nearly 50% more than the Accurascale, and the models are essentially identical in finish, lighting functions and detail. If EFE start producing more models like this than more power to them. I must admit I'm rather tempted by a booster for my railway museum. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Excellent choice of subject, thanks.

The front/rear of these locos are very like the 4-CORs, …

The cab ends of CC1/CC2 (20001/20002) could be more likened to an earlier 2-HAL or a “Sheba 4-SUB, whilst 20003 was more akin to the all steel HAL, SUB, DD.

Edited by Right Away
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Kaput said:

Can't decide what livery of booster to get....

Tricky, isn’t it? For me, it’s the grey because I like to have a locomotive in as close to its earliest state as I can. Then the malachite with the red and white stripes because it’s handsome, is a different locomotive and is in a different state from the grey. The Southern green and BR black are also tempting. Sorry, that’s not much help, is it? 😀

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Tricky, isn’t it? For me, it’s the grey because I like to have a locomotive in as close to its earliest state as I can. Then the malachite with the red and white stripes because it’s handsome, is a different locomotive and is in a different state from the grey. The Southern green and BR black are also tempting. Sorry, that’s not much help, is it? 😀

Go on ....... go for the full house - you know you want to !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

It's coming in very similar to what Accurascale are charging for Co-Co locos. Whilst I accept that steam engines are likely to be higher in price due to their valve gear which will increase assembly costs, I do think that Bachmann and Heljan have become massively over priced in recent years. The contrast is most stark for the class 37 where Bachmann and Accurascale are directly competing. The Bachmann model is nearly 50% more than the Accurascale, and the models are essentially identical in finish, lighting functions and detail. If EFE start producing more models like this than more power to them. I must admit I'm rather tempted by a booster for my railway museum. 

You can't say a manufacturer is overcharging on a product that directly competes with a competitors unless the have exactly the same contracts and overheads.  

Bachmann UK have to compete for production space in the kader factory, against all of Bachmann's other brands.  And they also have to make money, that is what a business does.  The larger the manufacturer, the more expensive their pricing.

Smaller, newer, outfits can generally produce to the same or better standard as they don't tend to have the historical overheads to pay for therefore retail price can be less.

As has been said, manufacturers can't win, they are either accused of ripping us off to fund their supercar and Caribbean island lifestyles, or there is a catch if the price is low.

To me, Bachmann produce mostly accurate, solid, reliable models, I don't look at the price because I either buy down the line or used.  I have no fear of missing out.

These are not essentials, they are discretionary purchases.  If you don't like the price, move on to something else, build a kit or scratchbuild. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Two Bachmann vans, a few Mk1s of unknown provenance, a Hornby Pullman .......... shame there are no Maunsell 'Nondescripts' available from the R.T.R. trade !

I think they’re Bulleid coaches rather than Mk1s.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

Having had a number of locos picked off by the RTR trade over the years that I built or commissioned [think H2 Atlantics, Schools, SECR D 4.4.0, Terrier, E4] its always interesting to compare the home built and the compromises and detail in construction once the RTR comes out. There are choices in treatments of details that I can choose the level or accept the compromise if I'm building it myself.

I hate to be a critic but I think the major standout for me so far on this model are the channels around the side grills which seem very deep and wide and make the otherwise fairly smooth sided [these grills are only on one side] quite interrupted. Makes me think of the forthcoming Leader's bristling rivets/screw heads [a loco which I've also built] and how very small details can effect the overall  impression. I'm very much an 'impressionistic' modeller and if it looks right to me it will do. So maybe some filler may be applied and that will be a quicker fix than the 10 or more years it took me to built a pair of these locos! the low ride height and general mass and weighty look is brilliantly captured. Everything a compromise I guess. 

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, ColinB said:

This is a pretty reasonable price for what sounds like a decent loco, what is the catch? 

The unmentioned fact that you have to buy six boxes of cornflakes to collect the tokens to get them at that price?  

On the other hand of course what it is really about is economics - things like tooling and assembly complexities, or not, and many other things.

• Funny 4