Gresley Streamliner colours

MRE2

• RMweb Premium

A few months ago I showed my Hornby P2 Streamliner in Wartime Black. Yes, I have a 'thing' about different colours, so I thought I would show my Gresley "Bugatti style" streamlined collection. I'm not sure about the W1 as built in there, but I can't find any evidence yet of a different colour on any of the others. No doubt somebody will chime in with something like "Garter Blue with British Railways" but that's not a different colour so I'm not interested in that.

Anyway, I'm a crap photographer, so in case you can't make them all out this is the list :
Shelf 1 = B17/5 in Apple Green, Wartime Black, BR Green
Shelf 2 = W1 in Garter Blue, BR Green, BR Express Blue
Shelf 3 = W1 in BR Black, as built Grey, Silver Grey
Shelf 4 = P2 Apple Green, A4 BR Purple, P2 Wartime Black
Shelf 5 = A4 in BR Express Blue, Silver Grey, BR Green
Shelf 6 = A4 in Wartime Black, Apple Green, Garter Blue
Maybe you will like them, maybe not, but I am quite happy so far, unless anybody has a picture of a P2 or B17/5 in photographic grey or similar...........

Gresley Streamliners.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Ian Rathbone. Yes, I am aware of those variations (just like the Garter Blue with British Railways that I mentioned in the OP) but it is completely different colours that interest me, not small variants on the same colour. I do agree, the full black smokebox and odd lining are not aesthetically pleasant.

A4 No. 4489 'Woodcock' also ran in traffic in workshop grey, but I never really quite got to the bottom of whether it was "photographic" scheme or some sort of experimental overall 'ocean grey' scheme like that worn by W1.

Will

Edited by Forward!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

To slilley and Forward! thanks for the information. Now I have to get another A4, and possibly make a decision - I already have Woodcock in BR purple blue with red lining so do I have a duplicate loco or find out what others may have had that livery. Ohhhh..........nightmare  LOL

On 02/12/2023 at 14:39, MRE2 said:

To slilley and Forward! thanks for the information. Now I have to get another A4, and possibly make a decision - I already have Woodcock in BR purple blue with red lining so do I have a duplicate loco or find out what others may have had that livery. Ohhhh..........nightmare  LOL

The four purple locomotives were as follows

60024 Kingfisher

60027 Merlin

60028 Walter K Wigham

60029 Woodcock

Hope this helps.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Ah but the Woodcock you have in purple was the one that carried that name for almost all the time. The grey Woodcock mentioned above is a different loco that used the bird name only briefly, 4489 more commonly known as Dominion of Canada.

So you can have both :-)

For extra colour fun I think I read that while in that grey scheme 4489 had green lined wheels !

Tom