57xx Pannier Tank Family, By Accurascale

2 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Watch the AY Accurascale video at the start of the thread. Fran makes some nice comments about that. Other regions have not been forgotten and the future is bright, very bright.

I think the Accura launch video didn't help there. I'll admit when I watched it and 'Mayflower' featured heavily my intertest was quite piqued, then stood in front of the 8F I nearly punched the air...and then when it panned onto the actual subject matter I clicked away uninterested. I'm glad for those who've been waiting for versions of these tanks which have never been covered before, but the teasing at the start of the video was a bit of a put-off.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

@Neal Balli will be particularly chuffed at this.

I certainly am very pleased that our cries for a new 0-6-0PT have been answered.

Im looking forward to this @Islesy - if you want to pop over to try out any sample locos at Henley-on-Thames you will be very welcome 😎

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear what have I done, I just couldn’t resist and bought a sound enabled version of 5741 - I don’t know what it is about them but these have to be my favourite steam loco. 

I’m hoping that by Q1 2025 I would have finished my layout, not sure it fits as it is going to be modern image. It will be my first DCC loco (and sound) but it has finally dawned on me as well that I need to switch to DCC to make the track design I want work well. Time to start upgrading my class 37s with Accurathrash speakers and chips

As someone who generally models LNER/BR (ER) I'm actually really pleased at this choice. LNER modellers are really spoilt when it comes to little 0-6-0 tank engines up to modern standards, LMS and SR modellers aren't far behind, but pre-war GWR modellers have to put up with a 57xx tooling dating back to the 80's and a 2721 tooling that goes back even further.

Quite fancy a pre-war one myself but I'm also tempted by the as-preserved 7714.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McC said:

Click into your account, then click Rewards, then click Redeem.

Decide how many points to use, click Redeem, and the system will put in a discount code for that amount in to the checkout for you.

For 'no money down' preorders, it will reduce the balance due, when the model arrives and will confirm same when checking out.

Any questions, just hit the speech bubble bottom right on the screen to chat with us in real time.

Any chance of drop in EM and/or P4 wheel sets, please ?

Just asking .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

I think the Accura launch video didn't help there. I'll admit when I watched it and 'Mayflower' featured heavily my intertest was quite piqued, then stood in front of the 8F I nearly punched the air...and then when it panned onto the actual subject matter I clicked away uninterested. I'm glad for those who've been waiting for versions of these tanks which have never been covered before, but the teasing at the start of the video was a bit of a put-off.

Yeah I thought oh its a B1 then I thought no it can't be a Hall then my face fair lit up when 8F was shown   which actually then resulted in complete disappointment when it was a Pannier.Perhaps not the best way to introduce a new model - a bit like winning a speedboat on Bullseye !

I do get it though . A multi variant loco that will keep on giving , with new versions over successive batches I can see why its a Pannier rather than a B16, even though it is a duplication. I think my Bachmann Panniers are OK for now . Competitively priced , though. If in stock at retailers its a maybe . Not pre order material for me though .

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Sorry I was not clear but I was referring to the Andy York interview with Accurascale at the start of this thread. And they mention stuff for other regions will be announced in due course.

As for the Accurascale Pannier tank teasing... Maybe there are other hints of what is to come too...

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Thought the video was brilliant - not the model I ideally wanted but really enjoyed the build up. Maybe I just like being teased 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

I don’t model the WR but another excellent choice, will sell very well. 9741 as an oddball in Green with BR lettering is really tempting…  

Other than 97xx did 57xx variants work cross-London freight, to the likes of Temple Mills for example? As others have said a 97xx would be an interesting variant. 

Finally I’d echo Rob on an E4, but we’re getting the J69 so we’re already being very spoilt! 

Well done Accurascale.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thought the video was brilliant - not the model I ideally wanted but really enjoyed the build up. Maybe I just like being teased 😉

Agreed, the video was well produced and presented as is usual. The area I model being predominantly around the Black Country a 57xx for transfer freight is right up my alley too. But the buildup was akin to implying a Palethorpes van but then offering a 1923 RCH 5 plank...I already have what I need of both from existing toolings, both of which I would be happy to see updated, but I know which I'd rather buy. The video sent expectations soaring for a moment, especially with an 8F in shot while acknowledging the tease, which for me left the reveal as an anti-climax. Without that, I'd have had a bit of a grin on my face with this announcement.

Ultimately its a numerous and widespread prototype with a vast wealth of variation that up until now has been relatively untapped, with rather aged representation. It was a low hanging fruit and this new range is most welcomed.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Agreed, the video was well produced and presented as is usual. The area I model being predominantly around the Black Country a 57xx for transfer freight is right up my alley too. But the buildup was akin to implying a Palethorpes van but then offering a 1923 RCH 5 plank...I already have what I need of both from existing toolings, both of which I would be happy to see updated, but I know which I'd rather buy. The video sent expectations soaring for a moment, especially with an 8F in shot while acknowledging the tease, which for me left the reveal as an anti-climax. Without that, I'd have had a bit of a grin on my face with this announcement.

Ultimately its a numerous and widespread prototype with a vast wealth of variation that up until now has been relatively untapped, with rather aged representation. It was a low hanging fruit and this new range is most welcomed.

Only time my heart sank was when the S160 loomed into view - I thought oh no, they've brought SK into the team 🤣

• Funny 4

Do it in O Scale next, so I can add one to join my Minerva & Dapol versions 😁👍 (after all, as has been said, there's no such thing as Too Many Panniers 🥳 )

Interesting that 9681 is being done in BR Late Crest, when the real one is preserved in BR Early Crest. 

3 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Do it in O Scale next, so I can add one to join my Minerva & Dapol versions 😁👍 (after all, as has been said, there's no such thing as Too Many Panniers 🥳 )

Interesting that 9681 is being done in BR Late Crest, when the real one is preserved in BR Early Crest. 

The current Dapol O gauge panniers are already very good! But as I have said in another post, if they can achieve models like this new pannier range in 00 gauge, I am very excited to see what they can achieve in O gauge when they do announce a steam locomotive. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am very pleased by this announcement, after all, I have been boring everyone silly for the last x years, urging AS to do this.

I am particularly pleased that they are doing non-top feed examples and also the riveted tank versions, both very useful if modelling the Forest of Dean, for example. I will have to re-livery a GW example, if I want a welded tank, non-top feed 57XX in BR black livery, though (which isn't a problem at all), unless AS announce one in a future batch.

So, all very good.

However..... I am surprised by a number of people immediately condemning their Bachmann examples to the scrap line or EBay etc., just because a newer, shinier example is appearing.

I don't think there's anything that wrong with the Bachmann 57XX and 8750, especially as a little modelling can add the extra detail that the comparative AS examples will come with as standard. I have a few Bachmann panniers, all of which have received extra detail and they are definitely not going to be displaced.

In fact, the old Mainline 57XX was also pretty good and a little additional modelling, over and above that necessary for the Bachmann equivalent can bring it up to the same level of detail.

So any AS panniers that I buy, will be non-top feed and/or riveted tank versions.

And now, I have to ask the inevitable question, which I see that one or two others have already touched upon - what about the tiny proportion of the AS customer base who model in EM and P4 gauges?

I find that a lot of recent RTR steam releases have proved to be challenging to convert, if not virtually impossible in some cases.

So, my questions for Accurascale are:

- will the body separate easily from the chassis, allowing the EM or P4 modeller to substitute a replacement chassis and motor/gearbox, should that be their choice?

- will there be sufficient space inside the splashers to fit EM or P4 wheelsets? Even Bachmann have made their (otherwise lovely) 94XX pannier a problem in that respect, in that there simply isn't enough material on the splasher walls to remove, in order to fit wider wheelsets, plus a little clearance.

- if the above is going to be too difficult, how easy will the wheelsets drop out, what is the axle diameter (3mm or 1/8" would be ideal), can the brake gear be easily detached (or modified in situ), in order to facilitate the wider gauge?

- how well with the coreless motor respond to conventional DC controllers (I have personally have bad experiences with modern coreless motors in recent RTR locos)

- and as for OO gauge - will the wheel and flange profile match that of the Manor or can we (please) have finer width flanges, which will cope with OO-SF clearances better?

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree that there is little wrong with the Bachmann one, as long as the one you want has a top feed. Yes it's old now, but it's in no way a bad model.

Accurascale have done this right as it can easily complement all the Bachmann ones still out there given the variants have chosen to start with 👍

• Like 1