RMweb

In search for a 2-2-2 tank engine.

GERDecapod

The IoW Central had 2 outside cylinder 2-2-2Ts, Precursor and Pioneer, apparently the first locos on the island (Rails in the Isle of Wight, P.C. Allen and A.B. MacLeod, p10.) The photo of Precursor appears to show a crosshead driven water feed pump attached to the ends of the slide bars. It is all inside framed though, built 1861 by Slaughter Gruning , scrapped 1904. One photo in that book shows one of the locos pulling a train of 6 (maybe 7) 4 wheel coaches, so not lacking a certain puisance.

• Like 2

On 23/11/2023 at 10:19, David Bigcheeseplant said:

image.png.a2066ba20a2223313adf025519abd1d4.pngimage.png.5a4aab933556a9ab5e188824d59647b0.png

The Sharp Stewart maybe would be a good choice I am not sure how many were built but were used on the Furness Railway, Weston Cleavdon and Porteshead Railway & The Watlington & Princes Risborough Railway there might be other as it was a standard design.

David

The GNR initiated it's operation with 50 of what became known as 'little Sharpies' which were tender locos, but many ended up rebuilt as 2-2-2T tank locos, rear frames were extended, and more alteration saw some operating as 0-4-2T. (Sturrock then built some larger 0-4-2T which were developments of this design, as did Stirling who then enlarged to an 0-4-4T, Ivatt and then Gresley produced 0-6-2T - the family tree very evident when you line them all up from illustrations in the likes of Bird.)

On 23/11/2023 at 12:45, doilum said:

The second one reminds me of an early attempt at scratch building . The drawing came from a library book "Locomotives worth modelling". Sadly it was never completed and probably still lurks in a long unopened box somewhere.

I have that library book, withdrawn from Clywd library service and recued via an NT s/h bookshop.

I think your subject must be the Ramsbottom 'Problem 2-2-2 on p55.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1