RMweb

CR 900 class 4-4-0 (Dunalastair III)

Caley Jim

1 hour ago, 2mm Andy said:

I'm sure I have seen an article/drawing of the WCJS sleeping composite coach recently - possibly in a LNWRS or HMRS journal?

All the details you need to model any WCJS vehicle are in the 'Register of West Coast Joint Stock' book published by the HMRS many years ago. That photo is a scan from it. 

Jim 

• 2 weeks later...

The buffer beam, valances and footsteps, cab inside splashers, reversing lever, smokebox door and bogie were all fitted in quick succession.  Then I found I was back experiencing short circuits.  Now this didn't surprise me as the clearance between the rear coupled wheel flanges and the rear of the cab splashers is very tight, but even after I had filed the inside of the splashers back a bit and lined them with tissue, the shorting was still there! 🙄  Much checking and partial dismantling followed, revealing shorting where I thought I had made sure there was none, including some of the thin double-sided PCB pads.

locobody4.JPG.6cabdd41007dcfb1438b129937201cc2.JPG

locobody5.JPG.a4842f08491b41473dfc5fca29d0888c.JPG

(That bent step support on the LHS valance has been straightened)

Having got that problem dealt with I then had to spend some time getting the front bogie to behave itself.  The wheels weren't for rotating  and adjusting the springs taking the current from it either had one set rotating or the other, but not both.  It also wasn't happy going through a turnout.   Eventually I replaced the 8thou wire with 10thou and the stronger springs seem to have done the trick.   Thanks to a new circuit from one of our group members the stay-alive is now wired up and it's running rather nicely, though traction is still not great.

Just as well it won't need turned on Kirkallanmuir as the combined wheelbase of loco and tender will barely fit on the 50ft turntable!

Sandboxes and brake gear next.

Jim

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Post script to the above.

Although the loco is running well, I found that when I either turned off the track power (when testing with a SPROG and JMRI), set a turnout against it, or lifted it off the track the motor gave a 'kick', enough to move the loco c1cm, which I realised was due to the CT decoder taking power from the capacitors.  I hadn't experienced this with locos fitted with Zimo decoders.   In consultation with my consulting electronics engineer, AKA @Nigelcliffe, it turns out that 'Zimo, being smarter, can tell the difference between "track DC" and "stay-alive DC".  
Most decoders cannot'.

Changed the setting to 'NMRA digital only' and problem solved!

Moral is, if you fit stay-alive to a CT decoder, don’t enable DC!  At least with this loco I can unplug the decoder and plug the motor straight to the track supply for DC running (e.g. for running on Dunallander, which is why I enabled DC).

Jim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Sandboxes and brake gear now fitted.brakegear.JPG.7bf39f74729c9b396c05df6f60bd6266.JPG

Because the sandboxes are hidden behind the front steps, I thought I might have got away with just a piece of brass with the sandpipe attached, but then I realised that from an oblique angle that would leave a bit of a gap, so proper sandboxes were created from the end of a pin from a 13amp plug.  They and the brake gear have been treated with Beechwood Casey Aluminium Black which i feel gives a better representation of 'in service' condition than black paint.

Since taking the photo I've added some thin strips of scrap etch in the area between the firesmokebox and the driving wheels, not to try to accurately model the valve gear, but just to put some 'clutter' in there to fill what would otherwise be an empty space.

With all the etched parts now fitted, apart from the cab side lamp brackets, which won't go on until just before painting, and the number plates, which won't go on until after painting, attention will now turn to the 'round bits', So the trusty Black and Decker will be coming out!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
correct 'firebox' to 'smokebox'
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Outstanding. At first (and even second and third) glance one could easily believe that it's a much larger scale model.

The detail's superb and that lining is simply exquisite.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Well! Painting and finishing off has taken some considerable time, between being a slow business in itself and other things getting in the way.

I decided to finish it in the later light blue livery (at least my rendition of it) and the result can only be described as being on the 'very nearly' side of acceptable, but from 3 ft away with your eyes screwed up it's just about OK.

frontLHS.JPG.4901f56e999f6d8e440b20e537319409.JPGrearRHS.JPG.e70af3e2ddc617ab309393f1adb3876f.JPG

Jim

Gorgeous Jim. Any chance of a snap of it with the coaches you built recently.

Jerry

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

from 3 ft away with your eyes screwed up

That's how I view most things and probably a great many others have no choice in the matter either. Even then I think you are being most unkind to yourself and your abilities . 

Edited by richbrummitt
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, queensquare said:

Splendid, a very handsome train, 

Well, the Caley was a very handsome line!  😁

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Well, the Caley was a very handsome line!  😁

Jim

I think it’s something to do with having blue engines Jim!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1