Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Remote Control (DC)

ssprit

Hi All, I have a basic layout currently controlled by a Gaugemaster Combi - however it's located near to one end of the (shelf) layout and ideally I would like a remote control handset so I can walk the length of the board?  Any recommendations for a suitable product - am happy to replace the Combi with a solution above that works.  Thanks!!!

The Hornby HM6000 works fine for me, and is reasonably priced.  I connect my controllers to the layout using what used to be called a four pole CB connector. That way I can quickly and easily change controllers. So I can run plug in my Gaugemaster for most use, my H&M Walkabout (from the 1980s) for great inertia control or my HM6000 if I want to control trains away from the control panel. I think it is well worth making all your controllers plug in to a standard socket on the layout.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

You could try here:    http://www.bluerailways.co.uk/Index.aspx

No idea how good they are ( the actual level of motor control) apart from seeing them in action some years back. Didn’t know such stuff existed until then. But at £39 for the 522 + PSU if you have a phone/tablet then might be worth a punt. Or at least download and try the app.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

You could try here:    http://www.bluerailways.co.uk/Index.aspx

No idea how good they are ( the actual level of motor control) apart from seeing them in action some years back. Didn’t know such stuff existed until then. But at £39 for the 522 + PSU if you have a phone/tablet then might be worth a punt. Or at least download and try the app.

These are produced by a member of our club, and all our layouts have them.

Generally very good, but have a slight delay between the turn of the knob / app and the reaction of the loco on track that you don't get with a conventional controller.

Great for continous running, but not ideal for shunting.

If you drop Ian a message, he'll probably be happy to chat :)

• Like 1

The HM6K system is a pair of Bluetooth equipped decoders inside the box driving a loop of track each. The principle has been around for years. A limitation is you can set each loop to play either steam, diesel or electric sounds which is fine until you swapt your steam and diesel trains loop to loop, although the sound comes from the handset not the loco.