Lima Class 42 Power Bogie

Yes, the same power bogie is used in the Lima Classes 26/27/33/87. Plenty of Class 33s about as the OO gauge/4mm scale version first appeared in 1977.

Be sure to steer clear of the earlier HO/3.5mm Class 33, the coupling is the biggest clue at first glance. Although the motor bogie in this also fits the Lima Classes 73/101/117/121 and probably 156 (never had one, too modern for me!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2024 at 12:49, Halvarras said:

Yes, the same power bogie is used in the Lima Classes 26/27/33/87. Plenty of Class 33s about as the OO gauge/4mm scale version first appeared in 1977.

Be sure to steer clear of the earlier HO/3.5mm Class 33, the coupling is the biggest clue at first glance. Although the motor bogie in this also fits the Lima Classes 73/101/117/121 and probably 156 (never had one, too modern for me!)

on that note, 

with the western motors, what motors will fit them please? as trying to get additional later low geared motors for my fleet, as i prefer the later motors,

The later ones are known as supertraction which tbh are better motors than the earlier high geared ones

Edited by vikingsmb

The Western is not so easy as it has an unusually short 3-axle bogie wheelbase. The only other model it may share a motor bogie with is the Irish '201' class produced by Lima for the Irish market, and there may be other continental models which used it. Perhaps somebody out there can confirm or deny this.

I think I'm right in believing that any Lima diesel which has raised centre bosses on the wheel faces has the later gearing. I have four Westerns but they are all first production run with earlier gearing and flat wheel faces. I've never owned a later version.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2024 at 01:09, Halvarras said:

The Western is not so easy as it has an unusually short 3-axle bogie wheelbase. The only other model it may share a motor bogie with is the Irish '201' class produced by Lima for the Irish market, and there may be other continental models which used it. Perhaps somebody out there can confirm or deny this.

I think I'm right in believing that any Lima diesel which has raised centre bosses on the wheel faces has the later gearing. I have four Westerns but they are all first production run with earlier gearing and flat wheel faces. I've never owned a later version.

interesting, 

I've remotored all my westerns with the later motor, and find they run much better, i've also re-wired them as well which helps, but would like to get additional motors 

Edited by vikingsmb

13 hours ago, vikingsmb said:

interesting, 

I've remotored all my westerns with the later motor, and find they run much better, i've also re-wired them as well which helps, but would like to get additional motors 

Yes, I added extra pick-ups to my four but chose the somewhat unconventional method (I suspect!) of turning the middle axle of each bogie around and adding a pick-up formed from a single piece of nickel silver wire bearing on the axle, so the loco picks up from both rails at both ends. Did the same with a pair of Class 47s. Only problem is remembering that isolating the loco via one bogie no longer works!

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 12:26, Halvarras said:

Yes, I added extra pick-ups to my four but chose the somewhat unconventional method (I suspect!) of turning the middle axle of each bogie around and adding a pick-up formed from a single piece of nickel silver wire bearing on the axle, so the loco picks up from both rails at both ends. Did the same with a pair of Class 47s. Only problem is remembering that isolating the loco via one bogie no longer works!

regarding what you said about the warship motors being 26/33 etc, I had a look on ebay and the wheels look smaller or am I mistaken?, I found the extra pickups on the 47s etc lima fitted were a nuisance with running. so removed them

9 minutes ago, vikingsmb said:

regarding what you said about the warship motors being 26/33 etc, I had a look on ebay and the wheels look smaller or am I mistaken?, I found the extra pickups on the 47s etc lima fitted were a nuisance with running. so removed them

There are two different sizes of wheel used on the Lima power bogie but the Warship is fitted with the larger size as per class 26, 33 etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, vikingsmb said:

Like wot Andyman7 said (and I was just about to!) I've done a lot of Lima motor bogie swapping over the years (including into a pair of Hornby Hymeks which the 26/27/33/42/87 bogie wheelbase fits perfectly as Hornby helpfully shortened the Hymek's ringfield bogie wheelbase by a scale 6 inches.......which was better than the original model's 15-inch discrepancy I suppose!)

I also found Lima's later extra trailing bogie pick-ups a nuisance, the inelegant 'design' had all the appearance of a bodge to meet 'market expectations' and tended to make the centre axle track at a peculiar angle. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Like wot Andyman7 said (and I was just about to!) I've done a lot of Lima motor bogie swapping over the years (including into a pair of Hornby Hymeks which the 26/27/33/42/87 bogie wheelbase fits perfectly as Hornby helpfully shortened the Hymek's ringfield bogie wheelbase by a scale 6 inches.......which was better than the original model's 15-inch discrepancy I suppose!)

I also found Lima's later extra trailing bogie pick-ups a nuisance, the inelegant 'design' had all the appearance of a bodge to meet 'market expectations' and tended to make the centre axle track at a peculiar angle. 

i would like to see that mod for the Hornby hymek,  thanks andyman for info I will order bogie tomorrow :) , no luck sourcing later western motor yet though

Edited by vikingsmb