3S08 0433 Wigan L.I.P. to Wigan L.I.P.

• RMweb Premium

Detailed here on RTT:https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H42567/2024-01-18/detailed

A couple of questions:

What and where is Wigan L.I.P.?

What is this train doing? It appears to be taking some sort of tour around the North West.  It is dated all weekdays 11th December to 19th April. Unlikely to be a RHTT.

David

Edited by DavidLong

• RMweb Premium
On 18/01/2024 at 10:01, ikcdab said:

LIP is loco inspection point.  These trains are normally sandite RHTT.  It's an available path, the train only runs as required.

The specific dates seemed to be outside the 'normal' RHTT season which was why I had discounted it. Does the path then keep being extended until the autumn?

David

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

The specific dates seemed to be outside the 'normal' RHTT season which was why I had discounted it. Does the path then keep being extended until the autumn?

David

It's my understanding that the paths are generally retained throughout the year in both the 'summer' and 'winter' working timetables.  This allows Network Rail the flexibility to continue to run them, as required, beyond the nominal end of the RHTT season.  

For example, the timetable for my local station at Huddersfield has them currently listed as 'Q' paths (ie runs if required). Here's todays.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:HUD/2024-01-19/0001-0405?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

Edited by 4630
  • Thanks 1

The paths can be in in permanently and only activated as required, although that particular one is (according to the train planner I just asked) used for de-icing as well as adhesion purposes which would still run outside the normal leaf fall season. You will apparently find all sorts of paths for NMT, structure gauging and other infrastructure trains which might only run occasionally but always on the same route. 

It saves having to put them all in as STP paths every autumn, or trying to put them in and finding that some enterprising TOC/FOC has nicked a bit of the path for something else in the meantime and made it a pain to timetable your RHTT. 

(Marginally beaten to it by 4630 !)