Accurascale Takes On Some Hattons Originals Favourites - Warwells, P and Andrew Barclay Tanks

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, billywhizz said:

The weathering on the wooden planks looks spot on. Any chance of sharing how you achieved it? 

Of course, I used the weathered wood set from Lifecolor. Starting with 713 with a few coats of base colour. Followed by dry brushing of three or four different shades using a flat shader brush. The links on the platform /deck were given a pin wash using a black /dark wash from Ammo. You can also use this for oil stains on the deck and for the chains.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Finally opened one of the 3 I’ve received this evening, one thing that is instantly noticeable over the Oxford version is the weight, it feels twice as heavy!

here it is next to an Oxford one which id repainted to the correct shade of green 

IMG_5462.jpeg

One thing I’ve cracked on with is adding the deck extensions, I’ve used 0.5mm thick brass bar 1.5mm wide, cut into 45mm lengths and glued to the edge of the deck

IMG_5470.jpeg

still need to add the triangular strengtheners to the underside of the extension and the plates above the buffers before I paint them to match the wagon, unfortunately the article I was reading had disappeared behind a pay wall so I’m not sure of the size I need to make those bits from plasticard 

IMG_5471.jpeg

And next to a modified deck repainted oxford warwell for comparison, thought I’d do the foxhounds green for these wagons

IMG_5472.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The article I was working from has appeared from behind the paywall so I’ve screen shot it for future reference incase it goes behind again, I won’t post it up here as it’s probably copyrighted (Hornby magazine article) but for anyone else thinking of having a go the styrene strips that go below the extensions need 0.010in x .100 Evergreen styrene strip, once I get some and do the work I’ll post some pics up here but it’s basically 4 triangular ribs attached to the existing uprights on the frame at each end 

the buffer protectors are just 0.5 thick brass squares in the article, I’ll probably just use plasticard as I’ve got some that thickness already, hopefully do a bit more tonight 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here we go, end plates added, used some plastic strip from an old sprue, brass strips painted, strapped down foxhound fitted and lightly weathered

IMG_5487.jpeg

one down, 3 to go (and 3 oxfords!) 

Quite a difference between that and a standard width Oxford version 

IMG_5489.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very tempted by the LMS version now they’re back in stock. Superb value in today’s climate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

If anyone has the detailing pack [pipes and hooks] for the GWR version they are unlikely to use I'd be happy to purchase it off you.

On 04/04/2024 at 19:26, gwrrob said:

Very tempted by the LMS version now they’re back in stock. Superb value in today’s climate.

Many thanks for that alert. I only managed to get the LNER variant and have now ordered the LMS and GWR variants. Being a Johnny Latecomer, I’ve done better than I deserved!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a bit late for @big jim

But we've just launched some 3D-Printed extension plates for the Accurascale/Hattons Warwell.

1000021923.jpg.3cedb2a4d898931114fef70531e20b58.jpg1000021924.jpg.6079058af89c6e1d70eabade35c7a22e.jpg

This is available in OO scale for £6.50 a set, and in O for £10 per set

OO is available online, please call for O

https://www.trains4u.com/p/302168/Trains4u-OOWE-Warwell-side-extensions-for-Hattons-Warwells-OO

DSCF1669.JPG.fb958eca960f6dd571229c692a200155.JPGDSCF1670.JPG.3d0c68a99b81b71ea18c29ce8220034b.JPGDSCF1672.JPG.4f1df8dfbddd74e79ff9f4c88d6e9d65.JPG

we still have good stocks of our exclusive warwells, though our yellow ended ones are selling out much faster than the plain green ones.  Note that the plain green livery is good up to 2010!

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Nice, would have been so much easier for me! 

as it happens I need an extra warwell anyway so I’ve ordered one of your Ltd Ed ones and a set of sides 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trains4U said:

It's a bit late for @big jim

But we've just launched some 3D-Printed extension plates for the Accurascale/Hattons Warwell.

1000021923.jpg.3cedb2a4d898931114fef70531e20b58.jpg1000021924.jpg.6079058af89c6e1d70eabade35c7a22e.jpg

This is available in OO scale for £6.50 a set, and in O for £10 per set

OO is available online, please call for O

https://www.trains4u.com/p/302168/Trains4u-OOWE-Warwell-side-extensions-for-Hattons-Warwells-OO

DSCF1669.JPG.fb958eca960f6dd571229c692a200155.JPGDSCF1670.JPG.3d0c68a99b81b71ea18c29ce8220034b.JPGDSCF1672.JPG.4f1df8dfbddd74e79ff9f4c88d6e9d65.JPG

we still have good stocks of our exclusive warwells, though our yellow ended ones are selling out much faster than the plain green ones.  Note that the plain green livery is good up to 2010!

Marvellous 

• RMweb Gold

Warwell and 3D extensions arrived over the weekend, fitted them this morning, so much easier than the brass strip ones I made up with the addition of them having the proper below plate bracing 

IMG_6047.jpeg

IMG_6049.jpeg

A bead of glue along the edge 

IMG_6048.jpeg

IMG_6050.jpeg

And a coat of green, I’ve used vahello military green as it dries a bit more Matt than the tamia paint, need to mix up the correct shade of yellow for the end plate though

IMG_6051.jpeg

I’ve got 2 Oxfords and a Hattons Warwell needing the extensions adding so I think ill Be ordering some more Trains4u prints instead of doing them from brass 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...