RMweb

Modernising older model electronic PCB's to the latest standards

• RMweb Premium

This thread will be very intermittent, but I plan to put any progress I make in creating new Circuit boards to update older models.

I hate having locos that have their tail lights lit while pulling a train or day lights on at night, and picking the thing up of the track so you can flick a switch when the loco is DCC is a waste of the technology.

The plan is to make all the upgraded models have the features below.

• Switchable tail lights
  • Switchable day/night lights
  • Cab lights (optional installation and will require a cab light LED/Circuit board)
  • Onboard stay alive (Optional to install the external capacitor to make it work)
  • Simple to install and match the original footprint.

I may sell these on in the future but redesign would probably be necessary to allow easier circuit testing before been sent out. 

Hornby Class 60 Latest revision upgrade.

The first model we will look at is the latest Hornby class 60. This model uses common+ so is an easier model to start with.

It also uses plugged cables between the circuit board can cab replacing the old tension pin system of the older model.

Original board

Class60OldPCB.jpg.31703bdaf603d140a9dbfb0fb746d0e1.jpg

Above is the original board still with an 8 pin DCC socket and no sound provision.

New Board

Class60NewPCB2.jpg.23ef5f7ab22323a8fba8beabcf3a7594.jpg

Class60NewPCB.jpg.fac8d803e60e4bb85cfc2cd58e88314a.jpg

Here we can see the new board. The cab lights are connected into the original plugs by inserting new wires. The board then sends the power down these previously unused connections the the cab light PCB's that I purchased from illuminated models some time ago.

Note the speaker was too tall in this location due to the exhaust on the body shell. I ended up fitting a smaller speaker that i could fit lower down in the chassis.

Class60Cab.jpg.aa1c00b63ff5aafc19fdfb2ddb3c1479.jpg

And finally a video of it working. Note the wrong sound file is installed this is just for testing until the correct sound is acquired.

I will tint the LED's at some point to try and get a better colour temperature, then this one will be finished.

Steven

Edited by SForrest10
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• SForrest10 changed the title to Modernising older model electronic PCB's to the latest standards