Sources for scale-drawings of Japanese rolling stock & locomotives?

Good evening, RMWeb,

I’ve recently been trying to branch out into modelling locomotives, rolling stock, and train sets from other countries to go alongside my fleet of UK stock, particularly Japanese prototypes. A friend shared a Google drive folder of locomotive drawings with me a while ago, but that’s mainly got steam locos, with a few older diesels/electrics, no modern items!

Any decent sources for Japanese prototype drawings? In particular I’m interested in designs such as the Kintetsu 21000 series “Urban Liner Plus” (above), and the Keihan 8000 series (below), two which I’m struggling to find any form of reference for.

IMG_6511.jpeg.9d3640d886690fe674fc8af4bf0143c3.jpegIMG_8751.jpeg.0bdf7cf165769831e08047940ffa3ea6.jpeg

(The above photos are not my own).

Any source of information will help.

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
Grammar edits

• RMweb Premium

I use Amazon Japan, many sellers on that platform sell overseas and I find service excellent. I don't know about selling to UK but for orders in Singapore delivery is very quick. Some of the sellers use other regional Amazon sites, it's worth checking that as if I buy the same goods from the same seller using Amazon.sg GST is included (cheaper than paying the post office if it is something for which GST is payable) and I get free delivery with Prime. Not sure if many will use Amazon UK though as it's a more distant market. If you do a search for a class you're interested in or just a generic search for train drawings you will get loads of results.

There are e-commerce platforms/shops like Hobby Link Japan and Plaza which are excellent for buying Japanese hobby goods from outside Japan and which are set up to be user friendly for us foreigners.

Another option is internet buyer sites. Zen Market have a good search engine and are linked to a lot of Japanese shops/sellers like Rakuten as well as Yahoo auctions.

And of course there's a huge model railway market in Japan. The famous manufacturer is Kato as they make overseas outline models, but Tomix is the bigger manufacturer. Then there are companies like Green Max, Microace and A-Line (all very good) as well as the high end outfits like Tenshodo (still active despite most people thinking they went defunct decades ago after they stopped supplying US outline), Endo, Imon and Katsumi. Standards are very high, prices of 1/80 can be crazy but N gauge is amazingly good value. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't know if this will work. I found a website with loads of Diesel, Electric and freight stock drawings most of which I have downloaded. Try it and see if it opens. I'll try and find the web address in the meantime. I also have a lot of 1/80th steam loco drawings. I don't think I've got many EMU drawings if any

dd13s.pdf