Automatic coupling uncoupling system

I am working on an Inglenook siding shunting puzzle in SM-32, I wondered if anyone could give me advice on an automatic coupling uncoupling system. I am looking for a Buckeye style, but would consider looking into magnets.

I need to make at least eight items of rolling stock, each will need to have independent control over its A and B end couplers. I will look at using small RC servos as the actuators, with a microcontroller for control. each item of rolling stock will have its microcontroller to manage the couplers, and location detection.

Has anyone come across something similar?

https://philipmcgaw.com/projects/inglenook-sidings-shunting-puzzle/

• RMweb Gold

Sounds rather complicated.

How will you communicate with the items of rolling stock to activate the couplers? DCC? R/C? 
If you use magnetic ones presumably they’ll be electromagnets?
Why do the items of rolling stock need to know their position?

Is this meant to be a “hands off” fully automatic puzzle that you just watch with no input other than pressing “start”?
I think I’m not quite grasping the scope or intent of your project!

On 05/03/2024 at 14:49, GWR57xx said:

Also possibly not in the best sub-forum, as I can’t see what it has to do with the forum title?

3D printed parts, I didn't see a better sub-forum

Hi,

There is a commercial kit in HO that use a tiny DC motor to open the hinged jaw of a Kadee coupling.

The motor could be controlled I think by a DCC decoder probably one of the types that deals with DC motor/solenoid DCC uncouplers.

The DC motor/solenoid approach I think makes it easier to couple up as motor/solenoid only pulls the jaw open and a very light spring returns it while allowing coupling without operating the actuator.

A servo tends to stay at the position it was last set to and is difficult to budge when coupling up.

I think the friction when coupling has to be less than the static friction of the most free running bit of stock you have. In OO I've measured static frictions down to 0.75g for one type of 4 axle coach (with electrical pickups on the coach).

You could do something similar to the kit mechanically 3D printing the coupling parts (apart maybe for the spring)?.

Regards

Nik