Caley Coaches compensated bogie.

Hello. I don't suppose anyone has built a kit from Caley coaches and is able to pop a bogie off or grab a picture from underneath a coach? The instructions are rather vague and I'm struggling to make sense of the parts. It's a compensated bogie in two half's that rock. I have unlisted tabs in the middle and a listed tab to fold over that is not going to fit how its explained. Any help please would be much appreciated! 

Not sure how much use this will be as it's all a bit murky:

20240311_171133.jpg.125d5f9b4ecffa2b3c2a826fbbb6f46e.jpg

Essentially the side frames are only soldered to the ends of the wire running across the middle, which acts as a torsion bar. The bolster (?) pivots on the same wire, and the tabs above each axle overlap slightly and are there to limit the twisting motion. It's the same method as an MJT bogie. 

I found them all a bit floppy in use and soldered them all up solid, those less ham fisted may have more luck. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I forgot all about this ! 

20240315_204708.jpg.1c29f871f698a930f14af1b818570518.jpg

This one has been 'got at' to make it rigid rather than compensated by soldering fret waste across the ends but you can see how the overlapping tabs above the axles limit the extent to which the two halves can flex. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, this has been more useful than the instructions supplied. It's slightly different to my one as that has a knife edge or something that slots together on the bolster rather than the wire arrangement. The brake gear twists as a one piece affair rather than the individual halfs you have as well. Much appreciated! 

Hmm. You've got me wondering now whether I just used MJT compensation units and stuck the Caley sides on ! I don't think so because I wouldn't have thrown the Caley etches away and I don't have any knife edge units sitting in the spares box ! They're 30-odd years old though ...

Edit - no, they're 'as supplied' back in 1992. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

This one has 1995 on the etch so perhaps it's an updated version. I got passed this from another chap who bought it years ago. Poor sod picked this one as a first etched brass kit and it put him off for about 30 years!