Discovered a feature - Continuous Corridoors.

AndrueC

• RMweb Gold

I was examining one of my Maunsel coaches earlier this week in order to work out how to fit light bars. In the process I discovered that there are concertina extensions on the doors. I've had these coaches for several years and had never noticed them before.

If you pull them out you can assemble a train with continuous corridors. It looks good stationary. But what I hadn't expected is that due to some strange alchemy they stay connected as the train runs. They don't appear to be magnetic and nor does there appear to be a spring.

I only wish Dapol had added them to their more modern coaches.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure why these were not added to the Mark 3 - possibly as they are an earlier model. It is a great feature and would be nice to see on any future gangwayed coach designs.

Our Class 142 Pacer also has the same pull-out corridor connections.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I finally dug my Class 142 Pacer out and you're right! Again I'd never noticed. To be fair (to me) I haven't run the Pacer much. Don't get me wrong, it's a great model. Unfortunately the detailing extends to no suspension whatsoever and it's a pernickety little beast. It'll pick the frog of a turnout as soon as you glance away from it.

image.png.950c3a5d3ed9502ff904de646c2eaf85.png

Unfortunately I also need to do a little remedial work on it as the pipe has broken off the trailing coach. I'll leave it on my layout but will eventually swap platforms with my Class 121. That way the Pacer will be navigating the platform turnouts in a straight line so will see more action.

image.png.901446b8f132cee9a02c469603a0ac12.png

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1