TSO range of operations?

A quick question please.  I am increasing the number of Infrastructure movements on my layout, based in the Drome Department.  Researching track machine liveries, I was taken with the TSO branded ones but, given that TSO is Travaux du Sud-Ouest, what is their sphere of operations?  Is it nationwide, as I have seen references to works in Paris?  Would they operate in the Lyons area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

11 hours ago, Whitcan said:

A quick question please.  I am increasing the number of Infrastructure movements on my layout, based in the Drome Department.  Researching track machine liveries, I was taken with the TSO branded ones but, given that TSO is Travaux du Sud-Ouest, what is their sphere of operations?  Is it nationwide, as I have seen references to works in Paris?  Would they operate in the Lyons area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

TSO is a private company set up in 1852 and a supplier to SNCF and to other railways. Its name dosesn't define it geographically (if it ever did) but may be where it started but its registered offices are actually in  Chelles Seine et Marne. It also for example laid the track for the Channel Tunnel and for Crossrail (Elizabeth Line).  There is a Wikipedia entry for it, just search for Travaux du Sud-Ouest. There are references to considerable works in Paris. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2024 at 23:15, Whitcan said:

Thanks for your response.  I knew that it was an old company but thought it better to double check before someone picks me up on it at an exhibition!

I exhibit my French and Swiss layouts frequently and I would say that the chances of anyone picking you up on a TSO liveried infrastructure loco or wagons is something less than 1%. They will either not know what TSO is or if they do, they will probably know that TSO gear can be seen anywhere as it is a  contractor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/04/2024 at 23:05, Pacific231G said:

TSO is a private company set up in 1852 and a supplier to SNCF and to other railways. Its name dosesn't define it geographically (if it ever did) but may be where it started but its registered offices are actually in  Chelles Seine et Marne. It also for example laid the track for the Channel Tunnel and for Crossrail (Elizabeth Line).  There is a Wikipedia entry for it, just search for Travaux du Sud-Ouest. There are references to considerable works in Paris. 

estd date is 1927 IMHO

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

estd date is 1927 IMHO

The French Wiki entry gives both dates but the earlier one must have been a typo. The company's own website says that it's been an international company since 1927 and its founded Auguste Perron was succeeded by Loïc Perron (I assume his son) in 1964 followed by Emmanuèle Perron in 1996  so very much a dynastic business. It chose to stop operating during the occupation but resumed in 1945 when there was massive rebuilding of the war devastated SNCF network . When NGE took over TSO in 2011 Emmanuèle Perron became its vice-president and she is still on the NGE board. 

I have no idea why the Sud-Ouest name was chosen.