Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wrenn & Older locos

AMJ

Today I have finally got round to chipping the Trix Flying Scotsman. Done it with a Bachy 2 function chip. Wired motor & feed as usual. as it uses just a bulb for the lights have wired this between the blue & white (head light). Success.

Having a look at the other locos that have not been chipped I am now thinking do I chip the Wrenn BR Standard 4 tank? It was nominally replaced by the Bachy one some time ago. Yes I know how to wire it up but would like thoughts on what chip should I use? I realise that it's a power hungry loco. Lenz Standard?

I have one old Wrenn chassis still running, and that has a Lenz Silver, which extracts performance from it never previously attainable using a feedback type DC controller. Had the Lenz standard been available at the time this is what I would have used, it has the same drive. That's not to say there are not other decoders up to the job, a suitably rated Zimo for example, but I think the Standard is probably the cheapest for refined performance.

Archived