Bachmann Dynamis Problems

hoovernut

Having same issues with my starter one, had it only 6 months, was fine, now failing to send a signal to box unless I put it very close and shake it. Also engines stop at each end with no apparent reason for it, on comes the stop button symbol, reset and off we go. In a shed at bottom of garden with insulated walls and tin foil under the roof on one side which was added to try and reflect summer heat from the sun.

I have strip lights and a heater. Of course extention comes from house with Talk Talk router etc etc.

Gonna change to Guagemaster Prod 2 I think. Pity they have to make them look like a 1950's dc controller though??? It's 2014!

Does it really matter what it looks like as long as it works.

What is better?

Old fashioned looking and works or modern looking and doesn't work?

Personally I wouldn't have Gaugemaster either but that is only my opinion.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 year later...

Not completely related to the problems described here but I would like to build myself a power supply for my wireless Dynamis base station - does anyone know the exact spec for the power pack?  I think I read 16v 230ma  but I can't remember if this is AC or DC, also if its DC whether the centre pin of the power socket is positive or negative?

Any info gratefully received.  Obviously from the foregoing I will build it in a lead-lined box  :)

Many thanks for all the expert info on here.

Nigel F.

Why not contact Bachmann and see if you can order one from them

Richard

I might have to if I can't get the information.  But I have loads of electronic stuff here so thought I'd save some money and make one.  Especially with the problems described on the forum that seem to be associated with the Bachmann one.  I can build in an RF filter.

Nigel F.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Ive just come up with what I think is a new problem.  I was running fine on ProBox when I noticed that the signal to/from the handsets was very intermittent suddenly.  The symptom is quite weird in that the strength bars on the handset diminish from full to zero over about 2 seconds and the engines do not run, or if they are already running do not respond till the timeout occurs (30 secs set on mine).  I paired the unit down to the original Dynamis only and things went ok for a bit but then the same issue has started.  Tried a factory reset (and lost the roster int the process!) to no avail.

Any experience of this fault guys?

BTW, there's no obvious router, pc or other interference in the room.

dave

• 8 months later...

it's about time Bachmann held up their hands with the Dynamis and realised what a Windows 8 moment this really is. I purchased one last week to replace a ten year old Prodigy that had become life expired due in part to being dropped. Wish i hadn't bothered. Also got the Pro box and two extra IR receivers meaning four in total (one on each wall of a 20 x 10 foot room)!. Constantly dumping the signal even with the hand set inches away from a receiver!! Tried it without any lighting and it made no difference. You know, we live in a modern world with lighting, routers and other electronic devices in every household, My layout is in a building at the bottom of a long garden, do I go round all my neighbours asking them if they could kindly switch all their routers off!. A week later and I have bought another Prodigy Advance 2. 

• 1 month later...

I was having signal probs too but found it to be the Hornby R8206 power track causing it,i removed the plastic cover on the connectors and found a small resistor.I removed them all fron my layout and hey presto dynamis works a treat,also check all fishplates for a good fit as that can cause week signal

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

i've been using a dynamis for a few years without issue with the signal, until the other day, (layout in loft with flourescent tubes etc). The culprit is a new power pack i have bought for my layout lighting (a LTYT70 0-70w lighting transformer from TLC, as recommended on another thread about lighting on layouts).

When the transformer is on the signal drops out on the dynamis, is will come back briefly when the paddle is moved or a button pressed but then drops out, even with the handset right in front of the base station. I have tried moving the transformer further away from the base unit, but still the same problem. Unplug the new transformer and dynamis is fine again, so this is obviously causing interference with the dynamis...

So my question is has anyone else had this issue, and if so have you overcome it and how? I don't really want to ditch the dynamis as it suits me fine...

Cheers

Reg

• 3 years later...

I have a probox set up that suddenly stopped responding. Upon Further investigation it transpired the supplementary receiver works OK but the receiver on top of the base does not respond, even though its lights behave correctly. Does anyone know of a fix or  something to try or is it kaput :do I just need a new receiver for the basestation?  Would like to repair if poss

• RMweb Premium
On 30/03/2020 at 17:11, Marcoblanco said:

I have a probox set up that suddenly stopped responding. Upon Further investigation it transpired the supplementary receiver works OK but the receiver on top of the base does not respond, even though its lights behave correctly. Does anyone know of a fix or  something to try or is it kaput :do I just need a new receiver for the basestation?  Would like to repair if poss

Swap the two receivers to ensure that it is indeed the receiver that is the culprit. It could be a bad connection to the box. Bachmann do a repair service but as it is a "simple" IR receiver, probably cheaper to buy a replacement than get it repaired.

OK yes I swopped around and tested, clear that the said receiver was at fault. After a few days I had another bash to see if I could remedy and someone suggested looking at the pins on receiver. I care gently filed these with a pin file, which solved it. Amazing that this would happen as its been sitting there happily for last few yrs. 

• Informative/Useful 1