Gauagemaster T1 output current?

WolfofBadenoch

Hopefully a quick question!

I've bought and wired up a gaugemaster T1 transformer. The info that comes with it says the output is 1amp and to protect the outputs with a 1amp fuse,however when i do this and try to switch a point motor the fuse blows. A quick trial with a 3 amp fuse and it all works ok! So i've searched on the web, and on a couple of sites, RAILS for one, it says the output is 1.25amp.

Can anyone confirm that the output is 1.25 amp?

Thanks.

Can´t do better than seeing the manufacturers website.

http://www.gaugemast...om/modules.html

Confirmation of 1,25A and the use of a 3A fuse.

Take note that the 3 Amp fuse goes on the MAINS side of the transformer.

The output requires the user to provide protection for the OUTPUT side. Quote "Output: 2 x 16v AC at 1.25 amps each. Requires own wires and cutouts as necessary"

If anybody has to ask how to do it, they shouldn't attempt to do it. Get a ready made power supply or get a professional to do it for you.

Thanks McGomez. I never thought to check their website as i have the info sheet which came with the transformer - an info sheet which contradicts their website and any websites i've looked at!

Yes Smokebox, i have a 3amp fuse on the Mains side. I'm not asking how to to do it, just trying to find out which set of info from gaugemaster is wrong!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks McGomez. I never thought to check their website as i have the info sheet which came with the transformer - an info sheet which contradicts their website and any websites i've looked at!

Yes Smokebox, i have a 3amp fuse on the Mains side. I'm not asking how to to do it, just trying to find out which set of info from gaugemaster is wrong!

It is possible that both are correct.

Maybe they have upgraded the specs and yours is old stock?

But fuse protection has quite a large margin for errors & putting in a 3 amp fuse is unlikely to cause any problems. So stick to what you have done.

Kevin Martin

1.0 amp output or 1.25, the difference should not be critical in your application. This is just the maximum continuous output, which you might use if you were powering a train controller. Nearly all solenoid turnout motors consume much more than that, but only for a short period. In the case of a simple transformer, the only issue is overheating it if too much current is drawn from the secondary for an extended time.

Some form of breaker in the output is probably a good idea, and is of course recommended by the manufacturer, but a fuse is not the best device here because (1) it will blow too quickly and (2) it has to be replaced after it blows. Much better to use a car sidelamp bulb.

Hi

Consider replacing the secondary side fuse with a self resetting circuit breaker. Maplin and other electronic suppliers and many good model shops sell them. Link to Maplin Circuit breakers I would use the 1.6Amp AK08J one if you're powering solenoids directly. But the better option is to feed a Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU) from the secondary output and then use a 1.0 Amp breaker AK07H between the transformer and the CDU.

One CDU is normally all that is needed for the whole layout. Example CDU..Example CDU

The reason your fuse ruptures is because Peco and Seep etc solenoid motors consume approx. 3.5 to 4.0Amps! A 1.0Amp fuse will rupture quickly, but a circuit breaker shouldn't trip that quickly as its thermally operated and will allow the motor to fire. A CDU doesn't consume that much current on its input!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies.

Have got round to getting a CDU and the 1 amp fuse seems to be fine with it. The CDU has helped with a couple of points which were a bit tempermental, but now seem fine with CDU.

Once i've used up my supply of 1 amp fuses (MAplin only had a box of 10), i'll have a look at circuit breakers, but that maybe a long time now!!

Cheers

Archived