Conrad point motors

blueeighties

• RMweb Premium

They are certainly cheap but can be a bit gutless. I haven't fully mastered getting the actuator wire to fit nice and securely but they can be made to do the job. The instructions say use 16v AC but I have wired them using 12v DC. When using 16v AC they operate on half-wave rectified juice via the supplied diodes and they need at least 1amp! Using 12v DC they use much less. Unlike the Tortoise they switch the power off at the end of the throw so there is no residual power drain.

If you are using them on hand-built points you will need your switch blades to move with very little effort or you may find they struggle to throw them.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for replying Dave.

After the nightmare of building a point, and then trying to get it to work properly, I don't want to add any more difficult to sort issues. I'l stick with Fulgurex until I know what I'm doing.

Many thanks,

Lee.

• RMweb Premium

Fulgarex are OK but a Tortoise would be better. The Fulgarex units are rather noisy and several of my buddies have had reliability problems with them. If you go that way make sure you have spares!

Cheers

Dave

I've used them too but they can be a pain to get set up correctly. I used them in 00 where I think Dave has them on his 2mm layout. If the alignment is off slightly they can then once thrown bounce off the stock rail and leave them open. I did however leave them running on AC run off an old transformer ( It was handy and nothing else used the ac ) but the motors themselves are in fact DC and can be wired so. They do come prewired which is handy though. Now I wouldn't use them, I'd go for the new DCC concepts 'Cobalt' more of an upgraded Tortoise.

Archived