Ringfield Motor oiling

Tony Davis

I bought a Mainline Models Warship on Sunday, and when the power is applied the lights come on but the motor just buzzes. I tried to move the wheels by hand but they are very stiff. I pulled the motor off and it is a Ringfield type, seems to have a plastic cog inside. I bought some sewing machine oil but have read dire warnings about the consequences of wrongly placed oil. Could someone tell me where on the motor and/or gear cog it should go please?

Thanks

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I bought a Mainline Models Warship on Sunday, and when the power is applied the lights come on but the motor just buzzes. I tried to move the wheels by hand but they are very stiff. I pulled the motor off and it is a Ringfield type, seems to have a plastic cog inside. I bought some sewing machine oil but have read dire warnings about the consequences of wrongly placed oil. Could someone tell me where on the motor and/or gear cog it should go please?

Thanks

Tony

Try this thread, although the results weren't clear.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12842

Kevin Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the motor assembly apart and oiled it all, on reassembly though I found that the plastic cogs are the cause of the problem. The motor is working ok, and when the small cogs that engage with the wheels are in they rotate freely. When I put in the large plastic cog the links the brass bush on the motor to the small cogs is installed the drive chain locks up. I can't see any obvious reasons why the movement is fouled, but there does seem to be a slight warp in the plastic casing that houses the motor and drive assembly.

Thanks for all the advice

Tony

Archived