The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Movie and still cameras...Which one?

coachmann

Yes, I read reviews of the Canon XA10 and it delivers an excellent picture. However, I have lowered my price range! The choice was then between the Canon Legria HF S21 and a Panasonic HDC TM700. Both can be got for around the £860 mark.

After reading a boatload of reviews until I was stare-crazy, I moved to YouTube. Suprise suprise, a side-by-side review of the Cana and Panasonic. There is a link below for anyone interested...

Yes, I read reviews of the Canon XA10 and it delivers an excellent picture. However, I have lowered my price range! The choice was then between the Canon Legria HF S21 and a Panasonic HDC TM700. Both can be got for around the £860 mark.

After reading a boatload of reviews until I was stare-crazy, I moved to YouTube. Suprise suprise, a side-by-side review of the Cana and Panasonic. There is a link below for anyone interested...

Must be nice to be wealthy eh larry LOL :-) ???

Without wishing to send this off topic, I'm looking for a new camcorder and I fancy one of those £+-200 jobbies as they are so easy to carry about, unlike my beloved Hi8 Sony.

My problem is that I'm on Mac and most of the software packaged seems to be PC.

Anyway, watching with interest.

Without wishing to send this off topic, I'm looking for a new camcorder and I fancy one of those £+-200 jobbies as they are so easy to carry about, unlike my beloved Hi8 Sony.

I use Mac myself and my Sony camcorder works just fine with it and did not cost that much :-)

• RMweb Premium

Can iMovie not import the movie files directly from current camcorders?

I'm a Mac user - absolutely no problem with Nikon, Sony or Canon just tell the Mac to use your own software, Iphoto or Imovie.

Can I just add one point? I come from a background in the professional music industry - and now with the demise of the best tape plants I would not buy a system which is tape storage based. Yes, there will be some boutique tape makers but they will charge a lot.

Best, Pete.

Any recommendations if the OP doesn't mind?

Not at all. Feel free, I'm sure this thread will be useful to others wanting a new digicam.

The JVC GZ-HD10 is used by one respected video producer and the picture quality is pretty darn good. Price around £300.00. I'm currently checking it out on YouTube.

Must be nice to be wealthy eh larry LOL :-) ???

Wish I was! Just looking forward to a policy paying out.. :D

Unfortuntely theCanon HD10 doesnt appear to have a viewfinder. And so I've Narrowed things down to :-

Canon Legria HF S21 (£742.00 to £884.00). Super picture quality. Has a viewfinder. Bags of memory but drains battery very quickly (Batteries £89.00 each)!

Panasonic HDC TM700 (£777.00 and dearer). Now hard to obtain but replacement TM900 is similar. Super picture quality, Has a viewfinder. Bags of memory. Plasticky build.

Best PQ goes to the Canon HF S21 at the moment :-

Guest Belgian

Of course, Larry, the answer to your original question is "none". Everybody should be buying DVDs from the professional video producers!!!!!!

JE

Of course, Larry, the answer to your original question is "none". Everybody should be buying DVDs from the professional video producers!!!!!!

I've forgotten what my original question was Geremy. :D

I expect you have kept well up to date with pro machines. They were out of my league 30 years ago and they remain so. Not aiming to market DVD's this time although there might be a market for my 1980s/90s mainline diesel material once i find a way of retreaving it off the Video-8 and mostly Hi-8 tapes.

LG

Just to throw something into the mix on this one.

I'm not up on the models being discussed but what I would suggest is this. Don't part with your cash until you've actually tried operating the camera itself.

To be honest if you are just going to use the camera in full auto mode all of the time, then much of the benefit that paying a higher price brings might not be so apparent.

To get your money's worth out of a good camera you need to be able to operate it easily and effectively particularly in manual modes. One of the big drawbacks with a lot of small domestic and even semi-pro camcorders is that the zoom demand for the lens is not a direct mechanically operated system. But uses a mechanism of optical shaft encoders to tell the camera where to drive the lens to by inbuilt motors. These shaft encoders may seem nifty in some applications where, for instance, a small but quick movement gets the lens from end to end quickly, but become a right royal pain in the rear if you want to pull focus for a shot.

I would also suggest investigating whether your potential purchase will allow for the fitting of some form of UV filter or Polarising filter. Handy if you are intending to film trains on that elusive Bright and sunny day!

Hi again...

Havent read through the whole topic, But has anyone suggested looking at the current crop of Digital SLR stills camera's that are capable of recording HD video. I know there are certain limitations and not fully up on what is available, but having worked with some high end TV projects that have been shot on Canon's 5D, the finished product is very film like and of course you have the added benefit of a whole raft of available lenses and a true stills camera also.