Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Recent British Crime/Mystery Authors

trisonic

If you widen the criteria to cover foreign police forces, but written by a British author, then I recommend the series featuring Aurelio Zen, written by the late Michael Dibdin. The protagonist is a Venice-born inspector who is sent to different parts of Italy; there's quite a bit of carefully written stuff about railways, from insulated vans in Sicily to DMUs around Piedmont via the Vatican railway.

Thanks, I have actually read all the "Banks" books and enjoyed them! All the ones I can get hold of over here, I mean....

Best, Pete.

Obviously preaching to the converted then. As you know, Banks (and obviously Peter Robinson himself) is a great music fan which would obviously be of interest to you. Have you read 'Piece of My Heart', The one where he reinvestigates the murder of a young girl at a festival in 1969? He mentions many of the big groups of the day who you would no doubt be familiar with. Who knows, you might even have played in one of them!

I don't think I have. Usually I don't read fiction to do with Rock Music because the ones I have read are so laughably wrong! Ruth Rendell included.................they just can't seem to get it somehow, they dont ring true at all.

Best, Pete.

Sorry I need to add a kind of retraction to the above statement. There is one book that covers it very well, indeed and that is Iain Banks' "Espedair Street" - though it is not a crime novel as such.

Best, Pete.

Pete,

Try Stephen Booth's "Cooper and Fry" Series, set in Derbyshire with some darker overtones from the West Midlands. Again best read in sequence as there is an evolving thread. Starts with "Black Dog". (Google DS Fry).

Cheers, Peter C.

Hi,

Any of Graham Hurley's "Faraday" novels. A comtemporary Morse, well possibly but a deal grittier than Morse. Set in Portsmouth. My only comment would be to read them in order as they do then make more sense.

Something a bit off the wall - Charles Stross's Halting State and Rule 34.

Stu

I'd thoroughly recommend Graham Hurley; the first book is 'Turnstone'. Very gritty and meant to be an English Rebus (they share the same publisher). The Portsmouth setting is very realistic -I know all too well as being born and grew up there. I think he's finished the 12th and last book in the series. They are the sort of book you don't want to put down.

Simon.

Thanks, everybody!

Am I the only person the world to not like Stieg Larsson? Seems so! When I realized that the first book was a variant on the "Locked Room" mystery I kind of lost interest and never finished it.

I'll enjoy looking up the authors I've never read before.

Best, Pete.

find that very few Crime or SF/Fantasy novels that are translated into English make a good read - just a personal opinion

Hi,

Have your read any of Arnaldur Indridason books. They're set in Iceland, largely around Reykjavik. Personally I think they're very good.

http://www.eurocrime.co.uk/books/books_by_arnaldur_indridason.html

Stu

I would second Christopher Brookmyre, i would also recomend the Bryant and May books by Christopher Fowler the last one was set on the London Underground the books are clever funny and give you lots of the hidden history of London.

Regards

Chris

I've read all the "Bryant and May" books, loved them! I used to go past the Bryant and May factory every day...............

And all of PD James books - though the last few have been repetitive - she is first rate.

I'll try the others and the Indridason (sic) books, strangely enough I'm quite familiar with Reykjavik (even if I can't spell it)...........about the size of Brentwood.

Best, Pete.

I've read all the "Bryant and May" books, loved them! I used to go past the Bryant and May factory every day...............

And all of PD James books - though the last few have been repetitive - she is first rate.

I'll try the others and the Indridason (sic) books, strangely enough I'm quite familiar with Reykjavik (even if I can't spell it)...........about the size of Brentwood.

Best, Pete.

If you like Bryant and May his other stuff is good as well i would recomend his short fiction some of which features the two geriatric detectives personal demons springs to mind.

Cheers

Chris.

My problem is this. I do not buy fiction, only non-fiction. So I'm reliant on the library system and I'm STILL in the 'States! Some of the more esoteric detective stuff never gets released here, unfortunately.

Best, Pete.

If you want go totally left-field how about a literary detective, who works *inside* books?

I'm talking about the series featuring Thursday Next, written by Jasper Fforde.