The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

So the Russians decide to build a stealth fighter...

froobyone

But this is what I'm worried about:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ics/8592070.stm

If a Tu-160 "Blackjack" flys into our airspace, what's to say this new jet won't?

this is most certainly nothing new, when ever a "zombie" approaches Uk airspace aircraft are scrambled to intercept & identify, lightnings back in the 60's, then phantoms, & now tornados & typhoons

Nigel

• Like 1

at least one mistake in the article, & it would appear to be from the MOD, but of course it could be a misquote, The TU-160( russias B1) has, quote the heaviest take off weight & highest top speed of any combat aircraft. now it may well have the heaviest take off weight, but highest top speed of ANY COMBAT aircraft, I think this should've said strategic bomber??

Nigel

Manned aircraft still make up the majority but armed drones have been around since the Balkans and are becoming ever more useful,

Armed drones were tested in the '70s - BGM-34 Firebees with bombs (standard or laser guided) or other munitions (e.g. AGM-65 Maverick).

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a contradiction in the article:

"After being tailed for four hours, the Russians eventually left British airspace."

and

"The Ministry of Defence stressed that there was no indication that the planes intended to enter British airspace."

So did they or didn't they enter British airspace? Of course the cynic in me thinks that it was a coincidence we saw these stories at the time of the Strategic Defence Review :scratchhead:

• Like 1

I was thinking along the same lines but conversely: If the Russians wanted to get somewhere with incursions they should simply do nothing for a couple of years and then come back when the Government have closed all the bases in Scotland......

Best, Pete.