Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Glueing different materials

DonB

I need to glue Acetate windows into a Styrene (Plastruct) frame.

(See my 2011 challenge, [Hockley Goods, page2] for picture of the windows, the frame is Plastruct Tee-section).

What is the best glue to use?

Preferably a semi-fluid and/or non-stringing type, with a short setting time but allowing a little time for those last-second positional adjustments.

I have tried MEK ( no adhesion at all ! ) and Johnson's Klear (too slow setting and adhesion not good on small contact areas) . A PVA "Craft glue" which i have does not adhere well to Acetate, it forms a skin which can be easily rubbed off. An impact / contact adhesive allows no time for adjustments.

The adhesive / glue used by Scotch tape sticks to both of my materials but I would need double-sided strip width of about 1mm !

Any recommendations??

Don,

Try solvent-free evostick. It is what I use for this purpose and, although it is supposed to be in impact adhesive, I have had no problem adjusting position after placing the clear plastic in position. It is gloopy enough to hold while it dries, dries clear and is non-stringy. It is also odour-free

Harold.

Archived