West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Rod

Having a horrid cold, I was having a sleepless night in a hotel in Poland last night, so followed your link to the original of your 131 - which was a happy distraction - I've learned more about blue era stuff than I had any desire to, but betters that than Polish TV....So thanks for the distraction!

One thought - perhaps if you put a suitably shaped piece of black cartridge paper inside the car, the window scars will look a bit more dramatic under indoor lighting?

Apologies if I missed it, but why did you want a 131? I thought they were Scottish, not Scouse!

Oh yes, one more thing, yes, it is pretty good!

Best

Simon

Hi Simon.

Hope you're feeling a bit better now. I'll try the idea of black paper behind the windows next time I have the body off. Thanks for the suggestion.

Why a 131? Basically, I wanted a parcels DMU and also wanted something a bit different. I did think about a 4-car one, such as used to run to Heathrow Airport (Railair, I think they were branded) but a single car is more flexible on my layout, which has now reached its limit for stock. I can probably fit on another bogie parcels vehicle to run with the 131 but that will be it.

Yes, it's Scottish but my story is that it's bringing low weight, high value goods from Scotland for the warehouse down the line.

Rod

• Like 2

Rule #1 Rod, rule #1, and in truth parcels unit could be & where exceptions to the rule.

I will say it again, that is a stunning model, how can something so plain and drab in real hold so much presence in model form.

I purchased an Easybuild 121/2 kit the other week in a part trade off against a Bachmann Brassworks 121 unit I had, I had plans for it to be a blue grey valley lines branded 121 to go with a 121 DTS kit I bought off Shawn a month or so ago.

But I am tempted to either do the kit I have now as a plain blue 122 route learner vehicle .... Or just buy another and have both !!! well it is nearly Christmas

Happy modelling

Craig

Covet a DMU??!?!??

Uuuurgh!

(Ok, calm down, calm down, it's a joke!)

S

Simon bring one of your kettles along, that can brew up whilst watching some proper diesel powered traction going round

JOKE .... For you steamers modellers

V

Happy modelling

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Stunning DMU Rod. Blue is definitely the in era!

A blue tadpole unit is really needed here!

Paul R

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the comment.  I'm must admit, I am really pleased with it - I've had it running today - along with the rest of the stock until it got too cold to stay out (It was lovely and sunny, but only 4 degrees C when I gave in/up.)

A Tadpole would look good but I'm now at the stage where I can't fit anything more onto the layout - well, I could, but I wouldn't be able to operate it!!!   I'm going to have to lengthen the kickback sidings in the fiddle yard by 2 or 3 inches each but even then I can't get a bogie van in for the 131 to haul - it has to be an ex-Insulfish one.  I don't like the idea of owning stock and having it sit in boxes because I can't run it.  I'm in that position now with a few parcels vehicles but I don't want any more stock.  If I do  get something, then something else will have to go - NO, Craig, NOT the 115!!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

Rod

An idea to get more stock on might be to use cassettes on one of your fiddle yard roads and have a shelf over part of the yard where you could store say two or three. The cassettes could be 2,3 or 4 car although the latter is probably at he extreme of practical. That way you can have more stock out and interchange as needed

Paul R

Rod

An idea to get more stock on might be to use cassettes on one of your fiddle yard roads and have a shelf over part of the yard where you could store say two or three. The cassettes could be 2,3 or 4 car although the latter is probably at he extreme of practical. That way you can have more stock out and interchange as needed

Paul R

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul.  Funny you should say it, though, as I was looking at the idea of a shelf the other day - just to put parcels vans on.  The fiddle yard roads are a bit close together to be able to fit in a cassette (of whatever length): I've fitted 4 roads into 10.5 to 11" useable width so there's little room between them, but I might just be able to fit in a shelf above the rear road.  I need to be careful where I put it as I need access at each end of the back road for coupling/uncoupling but I do think it may be a possibility.  Then there's the height to the roof of the outside bit to consider, but it's worth looking at again (when the weather's better!!!)  

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

Very nice Rod. Is the extra double door in the middle on the other side as in my one and only picture of Sc55013.

Hi Brian.

Well, well, well, where was this picture when Brian Golding was writing his "Pictorial Record of BR DMUs"?   My model hasn't got the extra double doors in the side shown in your pic as Shawn cut the sides for me based on the drawings in the said book - which I agreed with.  The sides are both the same and at the time, we had no reason to think the doors were in different positions on the same unit.  Yes, I'd seen pics of other 131s with the doors in different positions but never, ever thought they'd vary on the same unit!!!

But, as the model's built, painted, weathered and running nicely, I'll have to leave it.  After all, apart from you, me and the readers of this thread, who's to know????!!!!

Seriously, though, it is frustrating when you think you've done all the research and then something turns up later to show you were wrong!!  Not only that, on my layout, the "wrong" side is showing!!  As my layout's DCC, all the locos and units face one way - on mine forward is right to left.***  For DMUs, the guard's compartment is normally at the rear of the first coach, hence why the unit faces the way it does.  The picture of my 131 above is reversed, purely to compare with the photo to which I attached the link.  B****r, b****r, b*****r!!!!!

Is this going to niggle away at me now, or am I going to be practical and say "*** it"???  I'm tending towards the latter but who knows??

I've just searched on Flickr for Sc55013 and there are 4 photos: yours is the only one from that side!!  There's one showing it in Perth Station in 1971, still in green, from the same side as the picture in York in 1981, but from the other end.   Hey Ho!!

Rod

***    Thinking about it, I could alter CV 29 so that the unit runs the other way - I'm just not sure what that would do to the programming of the lights as the unit's wired so that I can switch off the lights at one end for running in multiple, or with a tail load.  I'll check it in the next couple of days.

I'm sitting here with a wry smile on my face and shaking my head!!!   What's the smiley for "bemused"?

Oops sorry Rod  :umbrage:

I know what you mean though that these things only get highlighted after we've made the things! Just live with it, that's all you can do. That picture of mine has been on my Flickr site for a long time but maybe it did not get highlighted when you searched as I can't be bothered to add those tag things to my 31'000 pictures I have on Flickr. I too was searching for something recently and it seemed all the pictures that I was coming up with were all of the same side, frustrating to say the least.

Hi Brian.

I've just found another, from the same side as yours.  It's in Hugh Longworth's book "BR First Generation DMUs", and is credited to Ian Futers: taken in 1977.

I've already decided, as you say, to live with it.  However, you don't happen to know which would be the A and the B ends of these single cars, would you?  Were those notifications even used in the 1970s?

Rod

Typical isn't it, more pictures after the event  :umbrage:

I would imagine that a single car would be classified like a normal twin set in that the exhaust pipes would be at the back/No 2 end and the other end would be the front, forward in DCC terms. But in model form don't we all like running a bubble car with the exhausts at the front?

Hi Rod, the B end is the Guards end, as BR still treated the units the same as a single cab car, so the exhausts at the back and the id stickers on that end also.

And Rod don't let the double doors omission niggle you, I bet a pound to a piece of #### that 99% of the people wouldn't realise anyway, it's a stunning Model mate.

Happy modelling

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Rod

It probably wouldn't be that difficult to put right but a repaint on that side would be necessary. It's something I would have to do it it were me! I recall when I built my Claude the boiler was a couple of mm out and I had to unsolder and start again. Its just the way I am wired.

However as Craig says most people won't know!

Paul R

• Like 1

Rod

It probably wouldn't be that difficult to put right but a repaint on that side would be necessary. It's something I would have to do it it were me! I recall when I built my Claude the boiler was a couple of mm out and I had to unsolder and start again. Its just the way I am wired.

However as Craig says most people won't know!

Paul R

I've convinced myself to live with it, Paul.  As we've said - apart from those reading this thread, who's to know!!

Rod

Hi all.

I'm back with a few more pics.  It was a sunny afternoon so I went in the shed with my camera.  It was pretty cold in the wind so I didn't stay out long but did get a few pics.  All MUs.  The first is a line up of the 5 MUs on the layout (the Thumper is a DEMU which is why I've not said 5 DMUs!!):

post-7571-0-23251600-1427658297_thumb.jpg

Same line-up but different viewpoint:

post-7571-0-08221100-1427658322_thumb.jpg

The next 2 are views of the 131 coupled to the 115.  It would normally run on its own up the line to the depot but things are a bit tight in terms of line occupation, so it will be uncoupled at the nearest station to the depot:

post-7571-0-88506500-1427658337_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-00285800-1427658352_thumb.jpg

Later in the day, the 115 sets out on its own back to Birkenhead (change for Liverpool):

post-7571-0-23774100-1427658366_thumb.jpg

Some time later the 3-car 108 arrives - the driver has already changed the blind for the return trip!!!

post-7571-0-40993000-1427658376_thumb.jpg

And, on a later trip, returns with the 131 as part of the consist:

post-7571-0-97533500-1427658387_thumb.jpg

And leaves again, with the 131 leading:

post-7571-0-14736600-1427658404_thumb.jpg

And, finally, a water crane has been installed for the steam locos that now use the station: it can be accessed from either of 2 tracks:

post-7571-0-56161000-1427658417_thumb.jpg

Everything was running this afternoon, apart from the 115 which has no chips in it as they are still away for reblow:  I decided it looks better sat on the layout rather than in a stock box.  Some of these pix might well appear on Easybuild's website as I'm sending them to Shawn.  Keep looking!!

That's it for now: hope you enjoy the pix.

Rod

PS  The pix do remind me I need to get on with the scenery!!  When it's a bit warmer!!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 11

Blinking eck Rod .... cough cough ...get the driver's to switch them engines off .... cough cough ... that air above the station is thick with blue exhaust smoke !!!!!

It shows there was no knowledge about greenhouse gases and ozone layers back then .... or nobody cared ?

post-7571-0-08221100-1427658322_thumb.jp

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 4

Since you are being picky, the 131 standing on its own isn't an MU at all... ;)

I'll get my coat on the way out...

PS Nice pix.

Hey Simon come on don't burst Rod's  "Bubble" .... about the 131... "bubble"  :declare: ...... get it ?  :jester: ..........

• Like 1

Rod

I just think a 503 is needed, preferably in green, as I remember them...

these are all stripy...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=306540

best

Simon

Great picture that Simon, they where superb units those .................. Rod did you find out if anybody did one of those in 7mm ?