West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Ah well you have mini trainspotters in the long grass!! That gaugemaster matt doesn't look bad, perhaps a little bright on the colour for my liking. But you mentioned static grass, I've never used it yet, but it viable and/or cost effective look at producing your fairways and the like entirely out of static grass? From the demo's I've been, the quality used is minimal for the area, but the effect is very convincing, and with the different lengths of grass available, you could easily recreate the fairway, the rough and the tee areas?

Just a thought.

Rich

Good morning Rod, I like the the practicality of the leaning rail, as you say us Humans have a tendancy to sub-consciously lean or slouch without ourselves noticing that we are doing it, ...... out of interest how much are tickets for the front row viewing positions ? and will you be selling Hagen Daas ice cream, hot dogs and popcorn ?

Best regards

Craig

Hi Rod,

Ah well you have mini trainspotters in the long grass!! That gaugemaster matt doesn't look bad, perhaps a little bright on the colour for my liking. But you mentioned static grass, I've never used it yet, but it viable and/or cost effective look at producing your fairways and the like entirely out of static grass? From the demo's I've been, the quality used is minimal for the area, but the effect is very convincing, and with the different lengths of grass available, you could easily recreate the fairway, the rough and the tee areas?

Just a thought.

Rich

Hi Rich.

I agree with you that the grass mat does look a bit bright, but I'll see how it goes - perhaps a darker spray on it may be necessary.  As for the static grass, I'm not sure how much I'm going to need but the first thing is to work out the layout of the golf course: I fancy a couple of bunkers and some rough.  There's plenty of pics here to be going on with!!!  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=royal+hoylake+golf+club&qpvt=royal+hoylake+golf+club&qpvt=royal+hoylake+golf+club&qpvt=royal+hoylake+golf+club&FORM=IGRE

Rod

Good morning Rod, I like the the practicality of the leaning rail, as you say us Humans have a tendancy to sub-consciously lean or slouch without ourselves noticing that we are doing it, ...... out of interest how much are tickets for the front row viewing positions ? and will you be selling Hagen Daas ice cream, hot dogs and popcorn ?

Best regards

Craig

Viewing is free for invited guests, Craig - front row included!!  (Standing room only, though!)  However, no drinks on sticks or suchlike, just tea or coffee in mugs!!!!  Mind you, if the grandkids leave me any today, I'll have some Magnum Minis available - can't guarantee which flavours, though!!!

Rod

• Like 1

Okay I am sat here having a brew in Mc'd's at Chester Services on the M56, I have been doing a whistle stop tour of a few places across Lancashire today and this included a very pleasant and enjoyable hour or so with Rod having a brew and testing out those slouching rails , a big thank you to Mr Morgan for his hospitality, and for letting me "very cautiously" run a bit of his stock around on WKT, it was a blast, in fact I'am grinning to myself whilst typing this, his layout is simply stunning, even at this half way construction stage.

The stock looks, runs and sounds delightful, and I have taken away a few good ideas for my own project, and to commend another RMWeb member Jon Fitness's signals on WKT are a pure work of art.

Many thanks for your time Rod, hopefully next time I will bring my sleeping bag for a sleep over

Best regards

Craig

• Like 2

Hi all.

First of all, thanks to Craig for his kind words.  I'm also happy to report that the leaning/slouching rails are really good!!  We both used them yesterday and I've done so again today when I've done a bit of shunting around.  Not only are they the right height but they really do keep you away from the layout (but not too far away!!) and will certainly protect the scenery (and the Down Inner Home signal which I have always felt is a bit vulnerable).

I've strengthened all the original brackets and altered one of the original, low rails and my pal is making me some extended brackets for the final one.  I'll take a pic when it's all done.  It's costing me a pub lunch for him and his wife but it's worth it!

If any other reader/follower of this thread is in the Preston/Blackpool area and fancies a visit, just drop me a line and we'll see what we can fix up. 

I think I'm now at the stage where I can't prevaricate any longer about the scenery (I've run out of other things that need doing!!) so I might start in the next day or two.  Watch this space!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 5

Hi all.

Leaning rails now finished:

post-7571-0-13067400-1464384485_thumb.jpg

To the left of the first 2 can be seen the strengthening pieces.  Not exactly aesthetically pleasing, but they do the job!!  A block of wood screwed to the board and then screws from the other side into the block.  Nice and solid now.

I've also fitted another couple of hooks for the hand held controllers, one on each side of the main control panel:

post-7571-0-81976900-1464384493_thumb.jpg

I'd found from experience the others were not too convenient and I was resting the controllers on the layout at times.  Not ideal!!

Static grass next!!

More soon.

Rod

post-7571-0-13067400-1464384485_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-81976900-1464384493_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

muddys-blues, on 28 May 2016 - 09:21, said:snapback.png

I thought they would look nice in a canary yellow shade with Merseyrail insignia on them

Appropriate, maybe, but "nice"?
I prefer Rod's idea for varnish: natural wood will be less intrusive to the scene. 

*****************************************************************************************************

Simon, my tongue was firmly in my left cheek ....  :wink_mini: 

Do you feel that they may get in the way of eye-level views? Obviously, for serious photographic purposes you can unscrew them, but might they obtrude on day-to-day usage?

I am curious - it is, as with so many things - balancing act between priorities.

Appropriate, maybe, but "nice"?

I prefer Rod's idea for varnish: natural wood will be less intrusive to the scene.

Hi Simon.

Re affecting eye-level views, see next post.    They're only a couple of inches above the top edge of the boards: just enough to keep hands and arms off, but not enough to affect the viewing.

Rod

HI all.

Back a bit sooner than expected - because there's a new kid on the block!  This is he/she:

post-7571-0-12936500-1464472245_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-67514100-1464472256_thumb.jpg

It's a Class 150/2 in First North Western livery.  I've moved my time frame forward a bit!!  Well, actually, the truth is that it belongs to a pal of mine who bought and built it in 2007 and has hardly run it since.  So he's lent it me to let it stretch its legs a bit on WKT.  It'll handle the Crewe - Birmingham runs and possibly Manchesters, too.  For now, the Mark 1 set is off the layout, but the parcels stock is still on (as you can see in the background!!)

He also has a Class 158, but being longer, it didn't handle reverse curves on the club's layout well, so we decided it wouldn't like the 2 in WKT's station throat.

I've done a couple of videos of it which are on YouTube, but I can't for the life of me remember how to link those into here.  Ideas, anyone?

Simon, these pics were taken with the leaning rails in place and they caused me no trouble at all.  The videos were also taken with the camera sitting on the track - again, no problem.

Rod

• Like 6

Hi all.

Done it!!!  Here's the link to the first, taken from the track as the unit leaves platform 1.  If you look closely, you'll see the "doors open" light go out on the near car as the "doors closing" beeps finish.

The second shows the unit arriving back into platform 2.

Hope you enjoy them.

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Very nice addition. Personally I think your passengers will long for the return of the Mk1 stock hehe!! Nice shots tho Rod, provides you with some variety on the layout.

Rich

Hi Rod,

If you remove the 's' from the 'https' when you copy the code over, you should get the full picture box link.

Lovely videos of a superb model. The sound is really good too.

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

Hi Rod,

Really enjoyed the video's - can we have more please?

Rod

With pleasure, Rod.  It's just finding different locations for a bit of variety that needs thinking about.  It can be done, though.

Rod

Hi all.

I couldn't help smiling a while ago and this is the reason.

I was looking through this book, checking some dates for 150/2s:

post-7571-0-11330300-1464644093_thumb.jpg

And I found this picture:

post-7571-0-94382900-1464644102_thumb.jpg

Couple the fact that I'm getting rather fond of the (nearly wrote "my" - Sorry, Dave!!!) 150/2 to Craig's comments about the colours of my leaning rails and you can, hopefully see why I was smiling.

So I'm now thinking: 2nd gen DMUs and Reggie Rail livery - could be a possibility.  But then I've said my layout's full, but then I think the track plan and signalling would be OK for early '90s so I'm really getting involved in flights of fancy now!!!  Peter Clark does kits for 150/1, 150/2, 156 and 158/159.   Mmmmm, decisions, decisions!!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

You'll have to build some cassettes, so you can run the existing stock onto them - and use the cassettes for storage in the house or in the shed, then pull other cassettes out with the early 1990s stock on :)  That way you get the best of both worlds and the stock is secure and safe!

I've often thought a modern version of a small terminus with various 142, 144, 150, 153, 156 DMUs plodding in and out would be quite colourful given the current liveries .... then i look at the 20s, 31, 40, 37s, 47s that are sat next to me in the office and think .. nah stick with the 1980s - far more interesting hehe!

Rich

Rod

You will be needing those 507's and 508's then!

Paul R

Hi Paul.

Nope!  I may be thinking of altering my time frame a bit but not the method of propulsion: diesel it will stay - with a bit of steam thrown in!!

Rod