West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Eligor seem to be the best supplier of 1:43 scale wagons, though for this excercise they are too modern. Impex stock their range though it looks to cater for either collectors or marketing of the actual fleets to customers which means they have to be current models

It's also a shame 1:50 is too far out as WSI and the likes do some fabulous rigs and even Nooteboom have a shop with scale product though at eye watering prices

Atlas Editions do a Tintin Dennis fire engine. It’s a bit squashed and a bit crude and at the typical price on eBay I suspect a non starter but the front could be used inside a fire station.

Ebro do a Ford Thames Firefly but it’s too early for your period.

I’ve been watching the Minder, Sweeney, Professionals triple bill on Itv4 recently - purely for research purposes! I think your evocative layout is crying out for a transit van with a Rover chasing it...

British lorries in 1:43 is a glaring gap generally given the recent interest in O gauge.

And 1:43 buses.

I have no doubt a Bristol Lodekka would sell extremely well as would an RE

Paul R

Hi all.

The next one is the Fiat 500L and I said earlier that it looked a lot bigger than the earlier 500 - here's a comparison:

attachicon.gifIMG_20181217_221110 - Copy.jpg

I know the actual L is bigger than the original 500 but I didn't think the difference was that great.  This is from the Top Gear review of the 500L:  "it’s 500mm longer, more than 200mm wider and 120mm taller than a Fiat Panda."   Yet they both claim to be to 1:43 scale - here's a pic of the underneath of each, both clearly stating 1:43:

More soon.

Rod

Hi Rod, isn't the Fiat 500L a bit late for your period, it was introduced in 2012???

Kevin

Hi Rod, isn't the Fiat 500L a bit late for your period, it was introduced in 2012???

Kevin

You're dead right, Kevin, but you must have missed post 1898 where I wrote: 

"Just a thought - there's me going on about the relative sizes of the 2 Fiats and the 500L is way out of my time frame!!!!

It was the price that attracted me!!!  Didn't think about the era!!

Dohhh!!

Rod

PS  Thought about that as I lay in the dentist's chair this morning as he was putting 5 injections into me!  Takes your mind off it!!"

Rod

• Like 1

You're dead right, Kevin, but you must have missed post 1898 where I wrote: 

"Just a thought - there's me going on about the relative sizes of the 2 Fiats and the 500L is way out of my time frame!!!!

It was the price that attracted me!!!  Didn't think about the era!!

Dohhh!!

Rod

PS  Thought about that as I lay in the dentist's chair this morning as he was putting 5 injections into me!  Takes your mind off it!!"

Rod

Sorry Rod, must have missed that, though I do seem to remember the bit about the dentists -  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O

Layout is looking really good with the recent scenic work, enjoying following this.

Regards,

Kevin

Rod,

No problems. And by the by, thanks for posting about your magnificent layout - it is a thread I follow diligently, albeit from afar on the other side of the Atlantic.

The first vehicle (N Reg) is a series 3 long wheelbase hard top (though it could be back dated to an earlier S2a with a little work). The style of grille and shallow sills under the side doors are the giveaways. Series 3's were constructed from 1971 to 1985, so an N reg (Aug 1974 to July 1975) is a valid registration mark for this vehicle. I would expect a service life of 10-15 years, so an N reg vehicle could probably be expected to be in line service from the mid 70's to the late '80's. I can certainly remember series 3 vehicles at our local fire station in the late eighties and early 90's, though they may have been later registration marks. In most cases, they were primarily used as support vehicles, although some were fitted with pumps for use as small mobile fire fighting appliances for light fire fighting duties (such as moorland fires, trashcan fires, etc). If you look at some of the news footage of the Iran Embassy Raid (1980), you will see some S3 fire service vehicles in attendance, along with Police S3 LWB station wagons. So, yes, I think you could well place this model in any fire station setting from the early 70's right through to the end of the eighties, and possibly a little beyond, although they would likely be being supplanted by more modern and capable 90's and 110's at this stage, with the S3's likely being relegated to backup duties at this point. The model vehicle appears to capture the basic shape well, though the fit of the doors looks as good as on the real thing! I would suggest that the D rings on the bumpers and the windscreen hinges are a little over scale and might need some work.The wheel centres don't look quite right for a series land rover either - too modern. I can probably get some pictures from my own S3 station wagon to help if you need.

In terms of the other vehicle, the S1 pump, I would be surprised if it were still in front line service by the mid 1970's. The last S1 was built in 1958, so by the mid 70's, many S1's would be approaching 20 years old at best, as you have already said. At that age, I would have expected them to have been replaced by more modern S2 / 2a or S3 versions. Some remote rural fire stations may have still had an S1 as a support / backup vehicle tucked away somewhere, but most would have had the pump and other fire fighting equipment removed and been sold out of service. Some private fire fighting units (such as at industrial plants may have retained their S1 vehicles for longer, but by the 80's they would have been getting rare.

Anyhow, hope this helps. Let me know if you need any thing else.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil.

Thanks, first, for your kind comment about the layout, but especially for the information on the vehicles.  That is all really interesting and useful.  A picture of the wheel centres would be useful if you could manage it, please.

As for the earlier one, i could have it in the yard minus wheels or other bits and looking run-down, but I'll not make a decision on that yet.  Certainly I'll get one of the series 3 vehicle.. I'm not sure the registration plate is correct as I thought at that time it was still silver/white letters on a black background, but I'll check it.  Whatever, it's not a reason not to get one.

Rod

• Like 1

Hi all.

Yes, I getting more sure that I'm going for a fire station!!  The fire engine arrived today and I couldn't resist posing it on the layout.  I've moved the station forward a bit and put the training tower behind it.  There is then room round the back of the building for turning and training and probably some parking also.  There will be a short road in front of the building (at right angles to the railway track) and a junction to the main road which will run along the back of the scene. Here's 3 pics of it.  

post-7571-0-65402800-1545260040_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-59225600-1545260061_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-13118300-1545260078_thumb.jpg

The staff car park will be on the other side of the short road - roughly where the cars are now.  That's my current thinking - no doubt it will change as I get going!!!  However, using the aerial shots (as in the one above) has certainly helped my thinking.  I'm really quite excited about this!!

However, one difficulty has made itself apparent as I've been playing about with the layout - access to it!!  I can't reach into the back corner at all - in fact, even positioning the tower had to be done using long pieces of moulding.  Plus there's the signal in the way.  So I'm thinking of building it on a removable base but it's quite big.  I've not measured the size yet - I will do in the next day or two.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what i could use as a base?  I need something that isn't going to bend but, on the other hand, isn't too heavy.  More research needed!!!

Watch this space!!   More soon.

Rod.

PS  Although the fire engine has the ladder, the extending bit is missing (I didn't notice on the photo on ebay).  However, things are in hand to sort that!!

• Like 6

Much as Birmabright has much to commend it, I think I’d be going with Foamboard (aka FoamCore), as it’s stiff and very light, and delightfully easy to use as a modelling material. Ruler, scalpel and PVA!

I’ve not tried it under the laser, but I built the overbridge for the old Greater Windowledge Railway using it. I printed my own brick papers with cut-outs, arches, etc, all in place, sprayed the foamboard with aerosol picture mount glue, stuck the papers on, and cut round the edges with a scalpel. I’m simplifying somewhat because I left flaps & tabs in place, but I’d certainly recommend the approach.

Link in my signature below. Some “in situ” photos on page 1, some “behind the scenes” in post 28 on page 2. It’s in my loft if anyone wants it...

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

Rod,

A thought about your die-cast vehicles. If you’re prepared to do a bit of surgery, making a steering and rocking front axle makes a world of difference, it’s a bit of a faff, to be sure, but it does lift them from “scale toy” to “model”. They look more natural parked on uneven ground, with the steering slightly turned.

Of course, you could always follow Giles’ footsteps, and motorise them too...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18108-radio-controlled-road-vehicle-and-powered-gantry-crane/page-17&do=findComment&comment=1741074

Or Yorky D’s lead, and super-detail them...

http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/yorky-ds-lt-lt-concrete.7171/page-3#post-173100

:)

Simon

• Like 1

Rod

I agree with Simon about Foamboard. You can laminate two bits together with white glue for more strength.

The last lot I got from 'The Range'. 4 white A2 sheets for a very reasonable sum. I also have a stash of supermarket advertising boards which are made of foamboard - they just throw them away when they are done. If you can accept the fact that they are printed then they may be a good option - I used mine with white glue on whihc I stuck DAS modelling clay which can be scribed for bricks as demonstrated by Gordon Gravett.

Paul R

Foamex would work for the base of the building

It’s different to foamboard as it’s not a sponge centre sandwich it’s more closed cell foam

https://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/blog/uncategorized/what-is-foamex/

It’s what they use to print out door shop signs on

You can get it in a variety of thicknesses and off eBay

It’s also very carvable ,I’ve built many buildings out of it

Brian

Edited by Bri.s

Useful info, Bri, thanks.

It’s PVC and therefore not suitable for laser cutting, but is weatherproof. I’ve checked out the standard foamboard, that is card and styrene, and can be laser cut, although the styrene melts, and may smell. I’ll report back when I’ve tried it.

I also discovered “needle cutting”, a technique I was previously unaware of, in which a piano wire punch is used as a cutter on an x-y table. Something the model plane builders use for foam type materials.

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Phil.

Thanks, first, for your kind comment about the layout, but especially for the information on the vehicles.  That is all really interesting and useful.  A picture of the wheel centres would be useful if you could manage it, please.

As for the earlier one, i could have it in the yard minus wheels or other bits and looking run-down, but I'll not make a decision on that yet.  Certainly I'll get one of the series 3 vehicle.. I'm not sure the registration plate is correct as I thought at that time it was still silver/white letters on a black background, but I'll check it.  Whatever, it's not a reason not to get one.

Rod

Great layout build, will read it from the start when I have some time free.

Re the LR wheels, hopefully this picture of my current project helps. Many of the diecast manufacturers seem to struggle with Land Rover wheels, the Caramama wheels are too flat unfortunately. Oxford are bringing out a 1:43 series 3 so I would be tempted to see what their wheels look like?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49261102@N07/29613522883/in/album-72157667604707553/

post-7400-0-73469300-1545375648_thumb.png

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49261102@N07/34345771355/in/album-72157667604707553/

Edited by 37114
  • Like 1

Hi all.

Thanks for all your comments about foamboard, Foamex and Land Rovers.   I'm still digesting all the information!!   And I've still not measured the space I've got for the fire station and therefore how much board I need!!  

However, the die is now cast - I've ordered, and paid for, the fire station and training tower.   And, I've altered the title of the thread!!

I've found that Hobbycraft do A1 sheets of foamboard, but only online, so that looks a distinct possibility, although, as I said, I need to measure up first.  If I've any left over, I might well rebuild the road bridge at the same time as I build the road round the back of the fire station.  At the moment it's a (broken but glued together) plaster casting: I could use foamboard to build one more like the real thing - as in this photo taken on my site visit in 2012:

post-7571-0-38119200-1545391037_thumb.jpg

I'm giving myself a lot of work!!  But I reckon you need a plan - even if it does alter when you actually start working on it!!!

Keep watching this space.  More soon.

Rod
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_20181217_221110 - Copy.jpg

Anyway, on the layout, I'll keep them separate!!

So, subject to a bit more research on the layout of a fire station site, it looks like I've decided on my corner filler!!

More soon.

Rod

That size difference is probably correct. I found this photo of the real cars for comparison.

Fiat-500L-001-00.jpg

Edited by Night Train
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

If I've any left over, I might well rebuild the road bridge at the same time as I build the road round the back of the fire station. At the moment it's a (broken but glued together) plaster casting: I could use foamboard to build one more like the real thing - as in this photo taken on my site visit in 2012:

I'm giving myself a lot of work!! But I reckon you need a plan - even if it does alter when you actually start working on it!!!

‘Planning is everything. Plans are nothing.’

Some corporate BS I picked up in the 90s.

That size difference is probably correct. I found this photo of the real cars for comparison.

jawdrop.gif Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

Yes, the size difference looks very believable, and from choice, I’d rather look at the cute little one, but if I were ever unfortunate enough to have an accident, I’d much prefer the fat ugly one, please. It probably offers considerably more refinement and comfort too!

I spent many happy years running an engineering design team in the automotive industry, a very great deal of the “inflation” between older cars and modern ones is simply down to providing space for crumple zones and padding around the occupant survival cell.

Unfortunately, car park designers still paint the lines to suit 1980’s cars, rather than 2020’s ones. You can get the car in the space, but you can’t open the door!

Rod, sorry about the persistent side tracks, I’m delighted to hear that you’ve “gone for it”, I’m sure the fire station will add even more atmosphere to your lovely model.

Season’s Greetings to all

Simon

• Like 2

Hi all.

Just a quick note.

Look what's arrived this morning!!

post-7571-0-61410500-1545481822_thumb.jpg

Ordered and paid for around 11.00 yesterday morning, delivered by Royal Mail Special Delivery at 11.30 this morning.  Fantastic service!!

It's the same firm as produced the fencing I've been using.

I'm so tempted to get started on it but there's still a few Christmas odds and ends to tidy up.  But at least I've something to do during the holiday!!

Rod

• Like 4