4mm turnout using Exactoscale components

hayfield

I got these parts back in Feb but not had time to try building a turnout in 4mm scale

post-1131-0-91096600-1333989507.jpg

There are a whole range of additional chairs, in the photo from top left 3 bolt chairs, 4 bolt slide chairs.

Next row Bridge chairs and plastic fishplates, bottom row switch chairs and crossing chairs

Exactoscale also do small chairs, obtuse (K crossing for diamond crossing) crossing chairs, slip chairs and check rail chairs for EM &P4 gauges

The idea is that you have the correct chairs for the job rather than having to cut up normal chairs (except for 00 gauge check rail chairs)

Lots of info on what chair goes where on the instructions page http://www.exactosca...mtrackinst.html

The plastic fishplates are super, so much better than using either nothing or Peco N gauge plastic rail joiners

Another plus point the Timber pack, each packet contains 3 sprues which have 60 sleepers per sprue, also there are longer sleepers than in the C&L pack and one 14" sleeper. They are 1.6mm thick, which is thicker than SMP & C&L flexi track but Exacto scale do matching 00 gauge track which at 1.6mm thick should be much nearer to Peco code 75 track in thickness. It silences those who want decent 00 scale track but do not want the thin sleepers both SMP and C&L flexi track has

On to building it now

Sleepers cut and crossing built

post-1131-0-52666000-1333995200.jpg

Loads of sleepers left for another turnout on the sprue, but like C&L sleeper pack far more longer sleepers than required, and with this sprue not enough smaller sleepers. Still the longer ones can be cut down to make 2 sleepers

Close up of the crossing chairs, first need to fit the standard and bridge chairs threadded on and get the crossing stuck in place.

A bit more work done, stock rail fitted.

post-1131-0-50460700-1334003147.jpg

Standard, most of the switch and bridge chairs fitted first, then the special chairs were put on.

After the slide and special slide chairs have been fitted, the next set are the special chairs, some are made up of 3 pieces. You can see the outside and middle parts are in place on 2 sleepers. The instructions for the sleeper before do not corospond with the plan, so I will wait till I fit the switch rail to sort it out.

You can also see that I have notched the stock rail and soldered an etched fishplate under it. Thought I would include this detail.

Carried on this morning before work (on lates)

post-1131-0-12892800-1334052963_thumb.jpg

Second stock rail fitted along with the special switch chairs, then the first switch rail

post-1131-0-77020900-1334052979.jpg

You can now see the plastic fishplates, look great, line up the rails and insulate all in one go

I had 1 devation from the photo on the sleeper which has 2PL above it. The written instructions show only 2 parts but the drawing shows a type of slide chair. The 2 bits only cover the outside of both rails and not the middle, I used a smaller middle part next to the ones that fit the next 2 sleepers and it fills the gap fine.

On double checking the sprue with the instructions the part is for a B switch so I have removed it and replaced it with a cut down piece of a slide chair, following the plan but not the written instructions

Turnout completed and looking quite fine

post-1131-0-48461300-1334246451_thumb.jpg

Added 2 C&L tiebars for testing, happy with the build as the 1st time I have used these parts. Good view of both the etched (Colin Waite) and plastic fishplates.

post-1131-0-90430700-1334246555_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the photos, this view shows off the switch special chairs including the longer slide chairs.

The translutant finish or the chairs may not show off the fine detail of the chairs too well, they seem smaller than C&L chairs, but are the same height.

My initial views on the trackwork, the sleepers are as good as the C&L (and available in Plywood strips) thicker sleepers and both are more rigid than the thinner sleepers that C&L sell. Exactoscale do matching plain track bases in 00, EM & P4 gauges which again are thicker than C&L and SMP flexitrack

The switch chairs are very good, look much better and are no trouble to fit.

Crossing chairs save time cutting up normal chairs, but doubt is looks any better.

Bridge chairs are much better than cutting down standard chairs.

I guess you can use these special chairs with C&L products,

On the switch chairs I have used 18 of the 64 parts on the A switch, the B switch uses the same number and the C switch uses 24. There are enough parts to make 1 more complete switch of the opposite hand, by adapting some standard & slide chairs at a pinch you may get a third set out of it

The crossing chairs are in packs which have enough chairs for each 1 in 5,6,7,8 &10, so providing you are building turnouts in all these sides they are more economical. But with both packs being £3 and lets say you get 2 turnouts per packet, certainly its worth spending an extra £1.50 per turnout on slide chairs and I guess most modellers would get at least 3 turnouts per crossing pack.

The chairs for crossovers and slips are designed for P4 gauge, for EM and 00 gauges Len suggests using larger chairs (next size up) and or adapting the correct chairs (as per the plans) I will give it a go at some point

The thicker timbers on the fast track bases answers the critics who dont like the thin timbers on both C&L and SMP flexitrack. For those wanting super detail turnouts a great product and the plastic fishplates are a must for all.

• 2 years later...

The parts are really very good, I would recommend that you use either the thicker C&L or the Exactoscale turnout timbers as the thinner C&L sleepers can sometimes curl up due I think the reaction of solvent being used on one side only. It may be because I use Butanone rather than something less aggressive when using plastic to plastic.

Ply sleepers seem unaffected but again I do like the thicker ply sleepers.

I do think Peter at C&L is missing a bit of a trick, but I do accept that his current range is very large.  I do think a kit of Exactoscale parts, similar to his C&L sleeper and chair kits with a sprue of bridge chairs, a packet of additional switch chairs, a packet of common crossing and a sprue of fishplates as well as half a sprue of an Exactoscale sleeper sprue along with the standard and slide chairs might be popular, or perhaps a double kit.

This may sound a bit confusing, but you would have a  super detailed kit. OK a pack of additional slide chairs gives enough chairs for a left and right hand turnout, and a pack of common crossing chairs gives you 5 different crossing angle sets. Not many would want 100 bridge chairs, though a pack of fishplates is good value. I will have a chat with him sometime over the next few weeks

I have planned a flatbottom turnout in the pipeline using C&L ST baseplates and code 82 flatbottom rail, this should be one for the two tone diesel boys to look out for if not those who model in the Blue era

David

Yes its an A5 in 00-sf, just looks so much better through the common crossing and should work better.

Lots and lots have been said about 00 verses 00-sf, and I have no intention of starting a gauge war. But if we think back 40 years or more ago the likes of Triang and Hornby Dublo were making wheels with very large flanges both in depth and thickness. In those days Peco code 100 looked finescale, let alone code 75. In the 70's & 80's with the advent of Slaters, Gibson, Maygib and Keen the quality of the wheels improved greatly. Also when Airfix and Mainline joined the RTR market again their wheel profile in the main was very good.

Fast forward to now, compare the 60's wheels and the latest offering and they are worlds apart. Put them both on either Peco code 100 or Hornby's setrack points and both will work. But you may find that the modern stock will slide side to side owing to the fact that the wheel standards are much finer, but the back to backs are the same. We are only talking about 1/3rd of a mil.

Again the change of a flangeway gap from 1.25(ish) to 1 mm is not much, but for better running of the finer profile wheels it makes all the difference. In addition it reduces the gap at the throat (frog) which also improves the running of the stock. Both these items make for a better looking crossing, which if you are going to the trouble of building a decent looking turnout by using the correct width sleepers at the correct spacing with chair detail, is in my humble opinion well worth it.

Alex

Exactoscale (via C&L) make both P4 and what's termed 0.8 mm chairs, though these may be out of stock at the moment. Peter wants to bring one out with a 1 mm gap but that's in the pipeline at the moment. Its more likely that in the short term the 0.8 mm ones will have another production one.

In truth not having a 1 mm check rail chair not a bad idea, both for EM & 00 gauges. Now the check rail gap should be set from the Vee and a bit of gauge widening can sometimes be very usefull. Having 2 chairs on the stock rail and 2 or 3 on the check rail (all having the chair not in use cut in half) and setting them  against the vee could be far more accurate than having 1 mm ones holding the check rail held against the stockrail. The fact that the 0.8 mm ones not filling the gap completely is not visually apparent in EM & 00-sf gauges, and if only the P4 ones are available then I would use them. externally the chairs are different from the standard chairs so even before you look into the gap they look better. On this build I must say I did not use them.

Alex

When building track there are a few basics. A set of track gauges are a must, thankfully C&L now sell the 00-sf ones. Whilst  they are a bit of an up front cost, the cost is soon repaid as you build the turnouts. Secondly some decent plans, Templot is a super source and its free software, though Martin and co appreciate any donations. Then materials, just chose good quality ones 

May I just correct that? There is no "and co". Templot is developed and supported by me alone. There is no-one else to share the blame.

Martin.

That's unless you've been experimenting with cloning technology in your spare time... Hmm. One for the week and one for Sunday best :crazy: :maninlove:

Martin

Sorry, I thought some at Templot club were now sharing the work load. 

As you know I take a bit of time to absorb all Templot can do and just recently found in Geometry track bed edges, has been a great help in laying underlay to a baseboard.

Does anyone make check rail chairs yet? I know C&L are bringing some out at some point, but i can't see any at the moment.

Alex

These photos may help

post-1131-0-16663600-1399232580_thumb.jpg

This is showing how I cut up the 0.8 mm check rail chairs, this is on an EM gauge B7 turnout, steel rail and the rest of the parts are Exactoscale. Doing it this way is a bit easier than fitting it on to the stock rail first

post-1131-0-38009400-1399232599_thumb.jpg

Overhead view, a bit unkind as its probably 3 times larger than in real life, Exactoscale's common crossing chairs also being used.

Hopefully this turnout along with others will be with me at the West Herts show next Saturday (10th of May) Aldenham Road Bushey

Here is a full blown one finished

post-1131-0-18792600-1399324216_thumb.jpg

Its in EM gauge and using steel rail, Exactoscale plastic sleepers with a 14" one under the nose of the vee.

S1 3 bolt chairs, 4 bolt slide chairs and bridge chairs which is pretty standard. Then additional switch chairs, common crossing chairs and 0.8 mm check rail chairs. And to separate the switch rails from the common crossings I used plastic fishplates. The only non Exactoscale parts are etched fishplates & C&L tiebars.

Slight deviation from my normal build in theat the Vee is a bit sharper and the stock rails have rebates to take the switch rails tips

Alex

These photos may help

attachicon.gif20140504_203356_resized.jpg

This is showing how I cut up the 0.8 mm check rail chairs, this is on an EM gauge B7 turnout, steel rail and the rest of the parts are Exactoscale. Doing it this way is a bit easier than fitting it on to the stock rail first

attachicon.gif20140504_203459_resized.jpg

Overhead view, a bit unkind as its probably 3 times larger than in real life, Exactoscale's common crossing chairs also being used.

Hopefully this turnout along with others will be with me at the West Herts show next Saturday (10th of May) Aldenham Road Bushey

Thanks, that's a lot more self explanatory. All I need now are some gauges.

Thanks, that's a lot more self explanatory. All I need now are some gauges.

Regarding gauges, I think C&L are expecting some in the not too distant future. Sadly at the moment the 0,8 check rail chairs are out of stock and I guess the 1 mm ones are a way off yet. Thinking about it I would always plump for the 0.8 for EM and 00sf gauges. Reasons firstly its easier to thread the chairs on to one rail at a time, secondly the check rail can be set using gauges and the stock rail can be widened if needed. I know that you can cut the 1 mm ones exactly the same way, but would the cut ones close up as close as needed !

Another all Exactoscale turnout, well the rail is C&L  and the laser cut sleepers are from C&L but might be branded Exactoscale

post-1131-0-94760100-1399497627_thumb.jpg

Switch blade being set, still got to fit a few additional switch chairs on the rail being fitted, 2 slide chairs on each side missing as I like ti fit the tiebar first to stop the point blade damaging the plastic slide chairs when being soldered

post-1131-0-16091000-1399497646_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of views of the common crossing, and these sleepers match Exactoscale's fast track bases as they are 1.6 mm thick

post-1131-0-85012800-1399498598_thumb.jpg

Will have both the plastic and ply sleeperd turnouts with me at the South West Herts MRS show in Bushey on Saturday ( as well as a few other items). Nice one day show that seems to grow each year, make sure you go to each hall/room as there are 4 of them, good selection of layouts along with super trade support, plenty of opportunity to spend money, as well as watching some good layouts.  

http://www.southwesthertsmrs.org.uk/page4.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few photos of some turnouts made from Exactoscale products. The two with wooden sleepers are B8's on a very gentle curve. The other is a straight B7

post-1131-0-16361000-1400488346_thumb.jpg

Both wooden and plastic sleepers have both their own benefits and drawbacks, and all are excellent products. I have used the thicker 1.6 mm sleepers, which are fully compatible with Peco products

post-1131-0-96935500-1400488364_thumb.jpg

These next 2 photos show up the switch area with the special chairs from 2 angles, you go from slide chairs to 2 slide chairs where the stock rails are in a chair to 2 block chairs then to bridge chairs followed by normal ones. I must stain the cut sleeper ends

post-1131-0-72477600-1400489049_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-21682400-1400489501_thumb.jpg

Here is the common crossing area, the side on view shows the change of style of the check rail chairs to normal chairs and the nose chair on the tip of the vee. Other than the crossing nose chair you could use standard chairs trimmed down to fit fora similar effect. I have found a couple of errors with both switch and crossing chairs, one due to the design of the Exactoscale kits, the other is just an error. Having said that they are so much better than not having them

Peter has found a box of 0.8 mm chairs so has a small stock available

One thought is that if anyone wants to have a go I could make up a kit for the turnout with all the differing types of chair including either plastic sleepers or ply, at cost plus postage. Up to the builder to make the crossings etc but will help if necessary. I dont want to supply these other than offer one person the chance of having a go without having to buy all the different packs. If in 00 gauge you could use a digital calliper as there is a bit of leeway within the gauge. 00sf, EM and P4 you need gauges.

I will need to know what size, gauge and hand you require. One only, but will have standard, bridge, check rail, slide, common crossing and additional slide rail chairs along with some plastic fishplates and sleepers, rail if necessary. Have both 2 and S1 3 bolt chairs may even have enough 4 bolts (C&L). At a stretch can include rail. As I said at cost price plus postage, large letter rate for chairs and sleepers, small parcel if rail needed. I dont want to be a supplier ,so one only preferable to someone who just wants a go or just go that extra bit further. If there is a demand I am happy to chat with Peter about a basic pack of parts

post-1131-0-27028200-1400489482_thumb.jpg

John,

I spoke to Peter at Bracknell on Saturday and he told me the same thing. He told me that he will (or maybe has) put the check rail chairs back on the website. I will probably get some as it is a bit difficult working with the smaller P4 chairs. I thought also, you may want to see my own attempts at making a fully detailed turnout using the exactoscale components. This was build as a test piece and has not had its tie bars fitted or yet had the timbers stained. Also, there are the cosmetic fishplates to add. It is really suprising how satisfying it is to have a finished turnout that works and looks so nice.

post-15291-0-84147000-1400509027_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-52307200-1400509036_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-39121300-1400509043_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-25514600-1400509051_thumb.jpg

I also bought some rail and filing jigs from the EMGS so I can now attempt to make the switchblades and common crossings from scratch.

Michael

Michael

Very good piece of track building, sometimes the odd chair needs a slight trim to fit but nothing too drastic. Looks terrific and hopefully looking at your layout plans your layout will be stunning

When using these chairs have in mind they are for use with Exactoscale P4 track kits. PL2 is a prime example. In the kit the middle part of the chair is missed out as this is where the switch rail is attached to the stock rail. I just trim a slide chair to fit the gap, I think the chair should be like PL1 where the stock rail is held in a chair and the switch rail is on a slide chair.

I have found its much easier to fit the cosmetic fishplates before threading the chairs on, its a pain doing it after and guess  how I know

The 0.8 mm chech chairs are really good for EM & 00sf

I find staining the sleepers first is easier

I also prefer Templot templates to other makes of plans

I printed off the old Exactoscale site the turnout plans for their turnout and crossing kits, these seem more accurate than the those for the individual packs.

I am toying with the idea of controlling the point blades from under the board using the Exactoscale Tortoise adaptors and using the Ratio (or is it Wills) turnout rodding

I have thought about filing aids for rails, however I have a couple of simple jigs. I seem to be able now to freehand file the rails to the required angle required, and the switch blades are becoming a pleasure to make thanks to Martins explanation when I built the 0 gauge turnouts

Would be good to see someone using them

Archived