Opinions of this scenic idea requested .

• RMweb Premium

I would grateful be for opinions on the following idea for a scenic background I'm

considering for our layout , due to this having been purchased 2nd hand

and being rebuilt as near as possible to as it was to save some time and effort

we have to fill the gap so to speak as we dont know what was there before .

This is the view over the loco shed area , the whole length of the layout is 30ft

and has to back straight up to a wall , we dont have room to make a rear

extension as this would reduce the operating area a bit ,

We are modelling GWR in the 30's and because of the general layout of what we have

we are using artistic licence as to location , early Newton Abbot is at the back of things

but without some of the facilitys that were there , at the time the area to the rear of

the station area was wide open countryside and the town was to the front , where we will

be operating from .

Here are a couple of photo's of what we are working with .

post-6765-0-07681900-1334061568.jpg

post-6765-0-35255500-1334061587.jpg

post-6765-0-83453600-1334061616.jpg

And here is the idea I have come up with , please ignore the obvious join in the

backscene , it's only temprary for testing ideas .

First a wide shot .

post-6765-0-72380200-1334061763.jpg

Now close in .

post-6765-0-32847200-1334061802.jpg

So does it work or do we need to rethink things ?

Over to you folks , and thanks in advance . :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike ,

this is why I am tempted by this sort of scene , I have checked the old OS map of Newton

for 1938 and behind the loco works building there was nothing but open countyside , as we are

using this as our cut of year it does fit the picture so to speak ,

The nearest building were a row of cottages to the right and behind the works building , in fact

the are still there as ids the road that runs along there .

If we imagine our loco shed as the works building it would be about right , okay maybe the devon scenary

would be a bit flatter but as this is just staged with a couple of scenes I have knocking about it does give an

idea of what I'm looking for . I'm looking at some ID backgrounds that might give a better look .

If you go to ' old map.co.uk ' and put Newton Abbot in the search then when it's loaded go down the available

list till you find 1938 Pre WW11 , 1-10,560 you get a good zoomable map of the area , this was why I thought this

could be the way for us to go , there is no need to develop a townscape as it is where we will be standing .

As we have to work mainly with what we bought and dont want to spend several years trying to alter everything

we are looking for something easily do-able but with some factual authenticity .

I think I would go for more sky, less hill but I dont know the area - I think it depends also on your vewing angle? will you be stood above or will it be at eye level? this will affect the horizon a lot.

How do you intend to print and mount it? The layout "County Gate" has a spectacular photographic backscene, and details how to do them here - http://www.009.cd2.c...o/backdrops.htm . I think having it printed for you so that there are no joins helps this kind of backscene. I painted my own to avoid this, but then most of it will disappear behind buildings...

personally, I think the basic effect is pretty acceptable :)

look forward to seeing how it goes

Andy

My initial thoughts were that you have Dartmoor on the wrong side of the tracks, but having read your logic and vaguely remembering that there is some sort of a ridge between NA and the sea, there do appear to be a few contours of around 400 to 500 feet showing on OS maps.

However, I think the hills portrayed on the backscene are meant to be higher than this, so perhaps something more indicative of rolling countryside would be more appropriate.

I can see your problem as the area seems to be a bit featureless until after the 1930s, apart from the sewage farm slightly North, but that's essentially flat in nature as well.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your thoughts guys , as I said that shown is just to get some idea of viability ,

I am more inclined to go with the two linked below , more rolling hills than high moor ,

these are what Unicorn1 has used and they look good on his layout .

Cary , you are spot on , there were no features looking from Newton in this direction in the

time period we are modelling , as we cant extend the layout that way anyway I think we might

as well have a go at doing it this way .

Any further thoughts would be more than welcome as I dont seem to be getting as much response

as I'd hoped for . :mellow:

http://www.howardscenicsupplies.co.uk/id-backscenes-series-206-hills-dales-pack-a-15/

http://www.howardscenicsupplies.co.uk/id-backscenes-series-206-hills-dales-pack-b-15/

• RMweb Gold

Two of my favourite RMweb layouts - Torrington and Kylesku - have photo backscenes that partly dominate the layout, and for me they "work". Stationmaster's point about how NA looked in a certain era is valid, but it does depend on how you are going to present your model - is it a generic GWR town with a decent-sized MPD, or is it a big nod to NA itself? As a backscene it looks great, but it does not shout that part of South Devon.

• RMweb Premium

Mike.I too used the ID backscenes and can recommend them.

Thanks Robin , I think the ID are some of the better ones available today , it's not

easy finding things that fit a 1930's theme , I would like to have found a town scene

but every thing available is either to modern or out of scale and size .

Two of my favourite RMweb layouts - Torrington and Kylesku - have photo backscenes that partly dominate the layout, and for me they "work". Stationmaster's point about how NA looked in a certain era is valid, but it does depend on how you are going to present your model - is it a generic GWR town with a decent-sized MPD, or is it a big nod to NA itself? As a backscene it looks great, but it does not shout that part of South Devon.

Thanks Ian , it's going to be generic , we are using Newton as an idea , it sort of fits what we have inherited ,

we still have to do some thinking about how we arrange the far end that had been built as a goods yard , it just

does'nt sit right as it is , it's really to small for the size of the rest of the scene , we have already moved the turntable

from it's original position on advice from The Stationmaster to make it a bit more GWRish , we dont really want to rip

up more than we have to as we would like to get something running before age really takes it's toll .

Also we have the rest of the boards to be altered and fitted to complete the circle , and there are several of them ,

all this is in a 30 x 10 shed and we will have bits left over from what we bought .

I agree that that backscene is not right , the ID one I have in mind has flatter land going towards rolling hills rater than

the high moor look of that in the photo . The ones on Unicorn1's layout are what I was thinking of .

Pictures 2 and 6 in post #31 here illustrate the look I would like .

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50259-bishopscombe/page__st__25

Thanks again guys , good food for thought .

• RMweb Premium

Mike

One answer might be to pop down there and take some pics (might even find some on the 'net) looking across the estuary which would give a very similar impression to the view as it once was from Newton I would think?

Thats not a bad idea Mike , I'll have to see if there are any model shops down that way to make the trip even

better . Though it will have to wait now till after Trainwest, Swag day , Bristol , expo EM, and any other up and

coming events . :O

• RMweb Premium

Mike , I owe you a coffee or a pasty , or both . :drink_mini:

Found this using Google street view , standing on the A381 Teighnmouth Road , the Railway is at the bottom

of the field and the Town is to the right about a mile away ,

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=50.54568,-3.573219&spn=0.004882,0.009645&hnear=United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=50.54568,-3.573219&panoid=dimV4NR3dsi7YM4mlELUYg&cbp=12,164.5,,0,3.8

Archived