Unamed Quay 4mm GWR or SR

Penrice09

post-12282-0-24981100-1334169996.jpg

Era: Late 50's/early 60's.

Short branch from main line, to a Cross Channel Quay, similar to Folkestone Harbour Branch.

Two 48" x 15" boards hinged with a removable road bridge.

Platform caters for a Prairie plus 2 coaches and parcels van.

All still vague at the moment but these are first thoughts.

Any suggestions, especially stock SR.

• RMweb Gold

Forthcoming Hornby Maunsell Pull-Push set sounds ideal for the local services. Not sure the GWR ever had a real Channel presence nearer than Weymouth - although Panniers were the final steam loco of choice for the Folkestone Harbour branch, 'tis true. Then perhaps a posher set of coaches for the through boat train from London. Again Hornby Maunsells are the best RTR, although Bachmann Bulleids or BR Mk1s might be a bit more in tune with the times.

My first thoughts when seeing the words "Cross Channel Quay" were of Weymouth Quay. in which case I would replace "Loco Facilities" with a Oil tank siding to supply all the thirsty boats. Add tomatoes and potatoes as traffic in 4 wheel vans and it becomes quite a busy layout for its size. with 4 tracks across 15" plus space for a wharf (on which a traveling crane would be a nice feature) it would possibly be easier in 18 or 20 inches if real estate can be made available.

Oh that 3ft of space in front of the fiddle yard is tempting for some sort of warehouse, making the 3 road traverser possibly easier as a 3 road sector plate - especially if you can get it to overhang the back of the board.

My first thoughts when seeing the words "Cross Channel Quay" were of Weymouth Quay. in which case I would replace "Loco Facilities" with a Oil tank siding to supply all the thirsty boats. Add tomatoes and potatoes as traffic in 4 wheel vans and it becomes quite a busy layout for its size. with 4 tracks across 15" plus space for a wharf (on which a traveling crane would be a nice feature) it would possibly be easier in 18 or 20 inches if real estate can be made available.

Oh that 3ft of space in front of the fiddle yard is tempting for some sort of warehouse, making the 3 road traverser possibly easier as a 3 road sector plate - especially if you can get it to overhang the back of the board.

I would agree, extending the sidig back in front of the fiddleyard, and building a rail served warehouse (might even be able to make it 2 sidings) You might then be able to do away with the road bridge and have the tracks just running behind the warehouse to a sector plate. If you really want loco facilities, a small shed and so on for a small industrial shunter might fit in by the warehouse too?

post-11344-0-69767400-1334226645_thumb.jpg

basically as per the original, but with a bit more siding space - i.e. visible storage yard :)

any help?

Andy

Archived