Silliest Nameplate on a diesel ?

Hi,

I was just musing the craziest or downright odd diesel nameplates I have seen.

No1 spot must be the RES class 47 "Victim support ". In the early 80s it was all battleships and suchlike, so how did we get to "Victim support" ? i wonder if anyone modelled that one ? Hardly enthuses me.

I'd love a RFD 47 named "Raffles the gentleman thug ", with a nod to a certain northern comic.Although that would probably be even sillier ....

Back in the 1980s there was an April Fool in Rail Enthusiast (as it was then) with a list of names that BR had decided to add to certain Class 31locos. I can't remember all of them, but one was to be "My Little Pony" and the rest along similar lines.

The following edition had a flood of letters from people who appeared not to realise which edition the article had appeared in...

steve

Hi, I was just musing the craziest or downright odd diesel nameplates I have seen. No1 spot must be the RES class 47 "Victim support ".

Isn't it named after the Charity...? Not a bad idea IMHO, although it was ironic seeing it and another 47 drag a NoL Eurostar up the ECML one evening about 10 years ago.

The silliest old skool nameplate must have been "Peter Pan" on the perrenial carrier of daft names, 86259, with Hector and Vesta close runners up (we once started a petition to name one "Stagg Chilli"). As for some of the newer bunch, well.....

I'm not doubting the good intentions of the charity, if it is one - but more the suitability/heritage of names.

It seems we are slowly turning full circle with some of the football club names on GBRf 66s - much more traditional.

I used to like the RES 47s with 'RES' starting names.Can't beat the poineers/mountains on class 60s either.Although they went downhill with 'commercial'namings, fortunately we didn't see a "Calvert waste site - stinky hole "

• RMweb Premium

I always thought that 43 108 when it was named BBC Television Railwatch was a bit silly. Still I was sad that when I saw it a few years later the name had gone!

I believe that was a temporary one just for the week of the BBC Railwatch programmes.

Always thought the long Railsafe trophy winners ones that a couple of Class 37's wore for a while were a tad riddiculous.

Hi,

I think that some of the names appiled to some mulitple units in recent years are abit silly, like all the Pendolino names, that mostly start with 'Virgin' and the Voyager's that include 'Voyager' somewhere in them.

Simon

I've always thought any of those named after BBC programmes are a bit lame.

Some are a bit obscure as well - "Floriat Salopia"?(I do know Latin and what it refers to). "The Lion of Vienna" (why not "Nat Lofthouse?)

There are many fairly risible names with a list of over 3,000 names to choose from.

• RMweb Gold

Unless you have knowledge of long-gone racehorses some of the Deltic names were pretty ridiculous - isn't Meld a method of shuffling cards? Although Nimbus is somehow appropriate considering what they did to the atmosphere.

All of those horses were still alive when the Deltics were built. St Paddy outlasted its loco namesake by about 4 years. Incidentally, Meld was sired by Alycidon.

The strangest nameplate i have come across recently was that fitted to ( Sorry all ) 390022

"Penny the Pendolino" but if i was to have a name put on to something ( Just for a bit of fun)

it would have to be a Voyager named " Captain Janeway ( Captian of the USS Voyager ) :lol_mini:

Well I never got my head around 50 007 ... and I'm not talking about 'Hercules' :no:

So you never got your head around - WR - GWR - GWR green - Castle class 7005 - Malvern Hills - Sir Edward Elgar - .

Education is a wonderful thing.

• RMweb Gold

So you never got your head around - WR - GWR - GWR green - Castle class 7005 - Malvern Hills - Sir Edward Elgar - .

Education is a wonderful thing.

You know you're right...

Education is a wonderful thing... and GW green isn't :P

IMHO of course :jester:

EDIT

Misspelling - can't go about education and make a spelling mistake can I...lol

Hi Gang;

There are loads of crap/inappropriate/misleading/unquantifiable names for locos/MUs etc.

We can cite Top of the Pops, Cory Brothers, Mum, the Fab 444 et al etc....

But then we yearn for Borderer, Redgauntlet, Mail, Vesta, Ajax, Rodney, Lancashire Witch...etc etc

If you were Joe Public...(normally with memory span of 2 weeks or the last tv advert) what would you relate to????

Later;

STU from EGDL

Archived