WASHWOOD HEATH SIGNAL BOX

An application has been submitted to Birmingham city Council by Network Rail for the demolition of Washwood Heath signal box, an ex LMS box. The reasons include the realignment of the main running lines too speed up services. Removal to a heritage line appears to be dismissed as a result of the difficulties in removal. It currently has additional supports in the ground floor area.

Any one wanting to model it needs to get their photos soon.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

An application has been submitted to Birmingham city Council by Network Rail for the demolition of Washwood Heath signal box, an ex LMS box. T

Looks Midland to me, was it an LMS build or second hand ?

Some recent (ish) shots.... I'll be very sorry to see it go, one of the last links to the old days in the area....

post-7638-0-90631000-1334772385_thumb.jpg

Taken by one of our travelling shunters... I wonder if the gasholders will be next to go...

post-7638-0-20002500-1334772499_thumb.jpg

The 15mph 'dog leg' behind the box...

post-7638-0-77374600-1334772697_thumb.jpg

Driver Chris Hill and shunter Mark Neal worked 66532 on 4M49 which was the last movement signalled by No1 box before being switched out for good 2 hours later.

5th April 2012.

Out of interest big T, is this Chris Hill the son of Paul Hill the Class Forty Appeal man ?

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Ah I did not realise it was listed. Thanks for the link.

It's only a local listing but Birmingham obviously consider it worth saving.

It's a change from the endless list of Pubs, Factories and Victorian urinals which is what most of the list consists of!

Keith.

• RMweb Gold

Look at that terrible bit of signal positioning on the goods line to the right of shot. On the right hand side of the line just past the bridge. The first train out of the Down Sidings on the morning it was commissioned was hauled by a 9F. The signal was totally invisible from the driver's side and the loco ended up with the front wheels dropping either side of the moving switch blades when it ran by as the Bobby pulled up the road. Incredible timing!! The rest of the day we spent digging a hole to put up a banner repeater on the approach to the bridge.

Archived