Railway system near to East Lulworth

Perusing Google Earth, I noticed a railway system just to the east of East Lulworth village in Dorset, can anyone tell me what it is and whether it is still there.

I know that much of the land in this area are military testing ranges, so my guess would be that it has something to do with this.

And you'd be right. This is the Lulworth Ranges Railway. The Industrial Railway Society will have the full details, but basically it's home to rail mounted target trollies.

Adam

A shame that the area would be 'out of bounds' when such an exercise would be underway!

I take it you mean the one by the footpath between Tyneham, and Worbarrow, there's another one to the south of the Tank firing range, at the RA Gunnery School camp, it's a pity the viewing area is closed now because of increased security.

Thanks Adam,

Having an idea of the area, this makes perfect sense.

A shame that the area would be 'out of bounds' when such an exercise would be underway!

There are similar set-ups at Lydd, Shoreburyness and elsewhere- the one at Lydd has hosted rail tours in the past, I recollect, though obviously not when the range is active.

I take it you mean the one by the footpath between Tyneham, and Worbarrow.

It wasn't this one, although this has also now been located as well.

The system originally found has a 4-track shed immediately to the east of East Lulworth village, which is about 1 1/4 miles due north from Tyneham.

• RMweb Gold

Not the exact one you mention but there were similar ones a couple of miles east at Kimmeridge and this book is interesting if you can find a copy.

Edit: Link removed as site ‘gone’

Archived