The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How to make boring sports interesting

I have played soccer, rugger, tennis, cricky-batty and many of the rest of the 'move a ball around' games.

Does anybody else feel that significant rule changes every season would considerably improve the interest? I suspect that football played by 'three legged' pairings would be great, basketball on rollerblades on a larger court might well work, and rugby with two balls in play with random light switching between them, and only the one currently lit up counting for scores, would be amazing. Every season different, new strategies having to be evolved on the fly, last years champs absolutely rubbish under the new rules and getting relegated.

Guest Natalie Graham

I think football goals should be replaced by ones like they have in snooker with either team being allowed to score in any of them. With six goals and eleven players there would always be one where the defence was stretched.

Snooker itself could be improved by allowing players to 'tackle', thereby resolving the problem of one player being stuck in his seat unable to do anything to prevent his opponent from scoring.

Shooting could improved by it being on a knockout basis with two styles. Old English where the two participants stand back to back and walk 15 paces before turning and shooting a single shot pistol and Western style where the two particpants wak towards each other with six-shot revolvers. Unfortunately I have still to resolve the problems involved in deciding third place before I can submit my proposals to the sports' governing body.

Instead of Formula one drivers being backed by an army of engineers and techincians the sport should be more about self-reliance and at the start of the season each driver should be given his car, a set of tools, a spare wheel with a jack and wheel wrench and, for more important mechanical issues, a year's membership of the AA, and left to get on with it.

Downhill ski-ing and white water canoeing could both be inmproved by making the winner the competitor with the fastest time over two runs, one in each direction of the course, as is used to determine land speed records.

It was long ago demonstrated (by Errol Flynn and others) that fencing is made more entertaining by the addition of a staircase, a balcony and a large table into the comptition area.

Just some ideas, I am sure the possibilities are endless.

Doesn't F1 change the rules every season already??

I believe the only constant is that "the Red Car should be given Preference"...

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago, when Michael Schumaker was winning the F1 races with monotonous regularity, there was a suggestion that he should start with a handicap of some sort. The best one was that he should have to tow a caravan. What a good spectator sport that would have made.

Following on from some of Natalie's ideas for modifying events, what about combining two different sports?

To start I'll offer diving+billiards which we'll call "swimming pool"...

A few years ago, when Michael Schumaker was winning the F1 races with monotonous regularity, there was a suggestion that he should start with a handicap of some sort. The best one was that he should have to tow a caravan. What a good spectator sport that would have made.

I think there already is caravan racing. Sure i've seen it on Sky Sports.

Shooting could improved by it being on a knockout basis with two styles. Old English where the two participants stand back to back and walk 15 paces before turning and shooting a single shot pistol and Western style where the two particpants walk towards each other with six-shot revolvers. Unfortunately I have still to resolve the problems involved in deciding third place before I can submit my proposals to the sports' governing body...

Actually if you think about it, both second and third places go to anyone wounded but still strong enough to drag themselves onto the relevant medal platform step, and runners up would be listed on the 'also lived' board. Special platinum medal for intelligence for anyone who gets in with a winchester rifle and a large barrel to hide behind...

But first class idea generation, and the canoeing idea is just perfect. Perhaps we could get a soft try out of the concept by having the Oxfraud/Cambug boat race run as an 'out and back' event...

• RMweb Premium

I find golf incredibly boring, both on TV and "in the flesh". But it could be considerably improved with Team Racing Golf. As an initial idea, there would be at least four teams, each of up to four players. The idea would be which team could get round the course first, regardless of the number of shots required. The players in each team would take it in turn to hit the ball. At the start, all four teams would "tee-off" at the same time, then it would be a mad dash up the course for the second player in each team to hit the ball, then the third, and so on. As in ordinary golf, each team would have to complete each of the 18 holes, with the team first to complete the 18th hole being the winner. There would be no such thing as "out of bounds" - balls would have to be played from wherever they landed. Caddies would not be allowed and the players would have to carry their own clubs throughout, so it could be advantageous to take as few clubs as possible. It would not necessarily be a "non-contact" sport.

I think that would be much more exciting.

DT

I find all sports totally uninteresting and no amount of rule changing could improve them.

The only rule that would work for me would be no televisation, broadcasting or "news" reporting.

I have no wish to stop folk participating or in attending and supporting the event/club/individual but am really fed up with the constant repeating of sport as if it is something the mass of public are interested in during every news bulletin and living minute of their lives. Perhaps a single newspaper "The Sport" and/or tv subscription only channel to cover events that are unreachable.

Bromide for the masses.

• RMweb Gold

Introducing roadworks, speed bumps and cars towing caravans to motorsport would be my idea, mind you it would liven up most sports ;)

Skiing definitely needs hoards of black clad henchmen on skis with assorted size paintball guns making a 007 style chase for each run with seconds added for each hit.

Ice skating would be much improved by being held on a pool of rapidly warming water with a wave machine, actually I might submit that to tv as dancing on icebergs!

• RMweb Premium

Reverse park it, to see if he can really drive.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

How about a 90 minute football match at Old Trafford????

With Fergie gagged and bound, so he can't whinge about the refereeing?

Kevin Martin

Rowing and sailing could be improved by the provision of crocodiles, stingrays, piranhas...

American football could be improved by them not wearing armour. Or if they insist on the armour, perhaps the ball could occasionally explode. Exploding balls would also put a stop to slow snooker players

• RMweb Premium

Rowing and sailing could be improved by the provision of crocodiles, stingrays, piranhas...

American football could be improved by them not wearing armour. Or if they insist on the armour, perhaps the ball could occasionally explode. Exploding balls would also put a stop to slow snooker players

What about the lady snooker players, they don't have any balls? :scratchhead: O K coat on and heading for the door.

• RMweb Premium

Soccer played with a tennis ball, teams of different numbers and no identifying strip, one goal with goalposts made of jumpers, and no goalie. It worked for generations of small boys, and Ron Manager.

Turning the ball into an occasional bomb, sort of Russian Roulette style. No flames or anything too damaging, just an explosion of highly coloured paint, powder or smoke. There would be lots of scope for live odds in those Bet365, Ladbrokes and Willaim Hill commercials (the odds are live feeds into the comms) as to what time the explosion could happen. It could be adapted to all ball sports including snooker.

Guest dilbert

Clean up some of the antics in football and Introduce the notion of the 'sin bin' - errant players being blue-carded to the local brothel.

Instead of changing rules which taxes committees and takes an age to implement, swap umpires/referees between sports, e.g. any offside shot in cricket would be penalised by football refs, non-goal bound shots in football would be considered as wides by cricket umpires etc...

Archived