Who are the GWR experts/modellers on RM?

• RMweb Premium

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if are the members of this board that specifically model GWR? I wanted to know this if I had any questions in the future for my layout, I could contact.

Dark green and chocolate & cream forever!

• RMweb Gold

Best thing to do is ask on the forum in the appropriate section - after using the search facility to see if the subject has already been covered. That way everybody can not only see what you are asking but will also get the benefit of any answers - that way we can all learn. And don't be afraid to ask what you might think are 'mug' or daft or simple questions - sometimes they can be the best ones of the lot in opening up subject areas for discussion and gathering information

• RMweb Premium

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if are the members of this board that specifically model GWR? I wanted to know this if I had any questions in the future for my layout, I could contact.

Dark green and chocolate & cream forever!

Surely the correct answer is any one who knows more than you!

Best off to ask generally, as some may surprise you with various aspects of their knowledge. Certainly discussing the issue, tends to 'flush out' more information than a simple question to one person.

Kevin Martin

ps Don't listen to me on GWR matters!

Just ask away, none of us know everything!

I thought it was obvious that locos should be green (middle chrome preferably) and coaches chocolate and cream). The GWR experimented with other colours, but soon changed back.

(See below!)

Few of us would claim the title of "expert", some of us would claim to know more than many but less than others, some of us would be able to know where to get the knowledge and have the relevant material in our head or to hand in reference books, some of us would only make the claim "I know nothin", simply because the combined knowledge of the forum is far greater than any individual member.

• RMweb Gold

You got the best man already :)

Absolutely ! I'm not even a bridesmaid on this one.Mike has probably forgotten more than I know but it won't stop me modelling this great company.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely ! I'm not even a bridesmaid on this one.Mike has probably forgotten more than I know but it won't stop me modelling this great company.

Actually what all these folk mean is that I made a career of picking up pieces of paper and official publications so there is all sorts of stuff lurking in what I grandly call my archive. But don't ask me about GWR coaches because others on here know far, far, more than me and some are well up on wagons too. Hence my point about asking on the forum - that way you will probably find the person with the right knowledge or at least someone who knows where to lead you to find it.

I think you will find that different members have different GWR knowledge. I would not have the conceit to call myself an expert, though I clearly have a wide knowledge in coaching matters, greatly assisted by occasional access to the coach stock registers. For wagons, buildings etc I rely on others by sharing data.

The Great Western Study group has an online area where is given by those members signed up to assist.

http://www.gwsg.org.uk/

You may also find the online Great Western Archive of considerable help with dates of locomotives and stock etc.

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/index.htm

My other sources for information are books (there are many), York, Public Records Office at Kew, and by talking to the few remaining ex BR/WR employees still alive. In the early days I was helped by my fathers large family who all worked for the railway at Swindon (say no more) but the last one has just passed on.

If you are planning a particluar station and want to go all the way, a good friend was researching a particular station and hired a church hall in the town, posted many posters well in advance in relation to a talk on his findings so far. All the old folk appeared on the day with boxes of photographs, ex GWR material including signal box registers from when the box closed in the sixties, retrieved from a dustbin at the station.

Good luck

Mike Wiltshire

One point worth remembering is that others may be interested in the answers to your questions - either because they were too scared to ask or just never realised they needed to know. For that reason you should always raise questions on the forum.

I would imagine any one individual would find it very annoying to be peppered with all sorts of queries. At least if they are posed to everyone, The Signalman and others can take a break when they choose.

• RMweb Gold

Actually what all these folk mean is that I made a career of picking up pieces of paper and official publications so there is all sorts of stuff lurking in what I grandly call my archive.

Snap, I even have some GWR stuff I picked up by mistake ! :P

Hence my point about asking on the forum - that way you will probably find the person with the right knowledge or at least someone who knows where to lead you to find it

Exactly what the forum is about, some know a lot more than others on certain subjects, but that doesn't mean they are the ones with all the answers.

Hey there!

Wouldn't ever call my self an Expert, but am certainly a GWR/Western Region enthusiast and modeller, with virtually a whole shelf of books on the subject (and one which is continuously growing).

I know that several links to numerous websites I personally use in my own research have already been posted in this thread, however, if they don't have the answer, I'd be happy to trawl through my books and see if they come up with any nugget of wisdom that may or may not be of use.

Cheers.

This has nothing to do with GWR. But we won't go into what GWR actually stands for! But at work we found our deffinition of EXPERT work for all occasions, and is as follows.

An ex is a "has been" and a spert is a "drip under pressure"

Mikkel, of this parish, started a website, http://www.gwr.org.uk/index.html about 12 years ago, it's now run by A.N.Other, but contains how-to "cut and carve" tips on rolling stock and lots of other interesting stuff.

Mikkel posts details of his current endeavours in the blog section here, under "The Farthing Layouts" well worth a look if you like pre-grouping GWR.

As others have said, post your questions in the Help / advice section, lots of the answers there have details which can be transferred across other regions, and we, less well read members, do like to read and marvel at the diversity of knowledge resident in the forum's membership.

In Industry, "Experts" are often labelled as "Consultants" defined as someone who borrows your watch to tell you the time!

This has nothing to do with GWR. But we won't go into what GWR actually stands for! But at work we found our deffinition of EXPERT work for all occasions, and is as follows.

An ex is a "has been" and a spert is a "drip under pressure"

Possibily fairer to say an expert is someone who knowes what they dont know but knows where to find the infomation.

Laurence

Although I model Great Western and Cambrian, I would not profess to know anything. I was only born in 1955 and can remember Steam Engines on the Main Line at Church Stretton only because my Aunt's garden backed onto the station.

Mike (The StationMaster) amongst many others has been a great help to me as I try to build Llanfyllin based around the 30's, although my plan when it is finished is to run a timetable starting in Cambrian and ending in a "What might have been"

As others have said, post your question here, there is no such thing as a stupid question, and thankfully on here, I have never seen a stupid answer.

Good Luck and welcome to Gods Wonderful Railway

Actually have been re-organising my bookshelf today, and have come across a few gems, so if you ever want to know about GWR Goods Services, Swindon Works, or something specific about C. B. Collett, I might be able to point you in the right direction, not to mention the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway (a GWR subsidiary), and Churchward locomotives.

Also If you are interested in particular routes along the GWR network, might I recommend my personal favourite series of reference books published by Middleton Press, they do a wonderful selection for all regions, however in my opinion their GWR/Western Region books are the best.

I would always ask a question in open forum, because, although several members of the forum have "outed" themselves or been "outed" by other members as "experts", I know, from answers received to some of my past GWR questions on here, that there are at least 4 or 5 people, that I would consider to be "experts" on certain GWR matters, who would be far too modest to call themselves "experts", but still freely give the benefit of their expertise.

One other benefit of asking a question in open forum is that the question remains "on file". I had an instance some time ago when I asked a question and did not receive all the information I needed at the time, but fully 3 months later I received all the information I needed and some that I didn't even know I needed from a member who had only joined the forum a few days before.

Archived