spares for Bachmann V2

Hello all

I have an old Bachmann V2 which whilst running well has aquired a bit of a wonky wheel set.

Upon checking the loco's trailing wheels it has become clear that this is due to the plastic axle deteriorating and warping.

I have emailed Bachmann last week with the part number from their service sheet but to date no reply ( I have tried again today ) - are there any other sources of Bachmann spares I could try ?

Many thanks for any advice

Chris

Bachmann do take a while to respond you have emailed the UK branch I take it

I hope you have not got a split chassis version as far as I know there are no longer spares for those chassis (I had a Standard Class 4 now on the scrap line for lack of motion)

And as for other suppliers I have been told by two different places that they do not supply to dealers

"You have emailed Bachmann"

- there is a web mail system for contacting Bachmann spares using the Contact Form on their website. In my experience this provides an immediate email confirmation to show that they have received the request. There is usually a warning to the affect that they may take up to five days to reply. Again in my experience I have always received a reply, although it may not have been as hoped for! Bachmann stopped selling driving wheel sets for 'split axle' models some time ago, but will sell you the nylon spacers (for the driving wheels) if required. The plastic spacers for bogie and tender wheels are used for lots of models. It would be nice to know if they were still available.

Regards Ray

Hi Guys

thanks for your replies - I believe it is the split chassis version and I did wonder if I could get a bit of nylon rod and bodge a replacement.

I have had the automated reply from Bachmann so I will be a bit more patient.

Chris

Had the same problem, assuming of course you are talking about the trailing bogie that substitutes for the Cartaze axle box. You split the trailing bogie into 3 (right and left hand axle boxes and a centre chassis) by removing 4 very small screws - note 2 hold the pick-up wires. Once apart replacing the wheels is easy although I cannot remember the diameter. Since all the replacement wheels i came across were insulated you can only get pick-up on one wheel now and you have to do that by shorting it out by one of the standard methods. I have converted my V2's to a "solid cartaz" and actually used wheel sets from Hornby A3's and A4's that came as spares. I also do not have any pick-up on these wheels. I will have a look and see if I have the old wheel-sets around

...I believe it is the split chassis version and I did wonder if I could get a bit of nylon rod and bodge a replacement.

Chris, it has to be split chassis, that's the only chassis it's ever had - upgrade announced but not here yet.

Bodging replacements: I have done this successfully on a number of Bach split chassis carrying wheels and have used plastic from biro ink tubes, some small clear tubing found in a scrap bin, and insulation from old 30A twin and earth. Pretty much whatever first comes to hand and proves to fit...

Post a a photo of the wheels/axle you require. I'm about to break up a good V2, and I will swap you your knackered set for my good set. I will then machine your old wheels and fit them on new axles for an EM Gauge conversion. Best Wishes, Mick.

Gents - many thanks for the extremely kind offers of help and spare parts - I have as suggested aquired the innards to a biro and I think this will be a most cunning solution !!

Thanks once again I am very heartened by the generosity of the people who have contributed to my question.

Best Regards

Chris

Archived