Electro-magnetic Uncoupling with Lenz & Train Controller

Hopefully not too daft a question but basically I want to use buttons or switches in Train Controller to operate electro-magnetic uncouplers on my DCC layout. I have all Lenz equipment including some spare LS150 points decoders and I was wondering if the LS150 can be used to operate electro-magnetic uncouplers. I want to avoid having to wire up manual toggle switches as my control panel is on the screen.

I hope my description makes sense. Grateful for any advice please.

Many thanks

Regards

Alan

Edit: just to be clear, the uncouplers I mean will be the under the track type to provide magnetic pull on DIngham couplers - as opposed to on board DCC uncouplers.

Thanks for that info Nigel, the link was most interesting. I have about a hundred Peco point motors made redundant when I dismantled my OO layout and I've read elsewhere that these can be chopped in two to provide the coils for two electro-magnets, all that's needed is a metal rod to make up your own E-M unit. This seems similar to your note about H&M motors.

I know for sure the Peco motors work with the LS150s (I've used them together for several years) so I'd assume this arrangement will work fine if I use some Peco motor coils as E-M uncouplers. Time for some experimenting methinks.

Regards

Alan

Archived