Easy build N gauge engine kits?

Hi all,

I am used to kitbuilding but I prefer to work with metal than plastic for some reason, but anyway, I am used to gluing soldering, painting and wiring now and I wondered what would be an ideal candidate to build an N gauge Kit engine.

I have had a look at Langley models and I like the look of the 56xx or the N7 but I can't really think of who else does engine kits like they do out there, I know BH enterprises do some stuff and I have checked their site but I'm after stuff along the lines of langley stuff.

any advice or points in the right direction?

many thanks,

You know as well as i do that the minute you buy & build a kit,along comes Farish or Dapol & they bring out the exact same model probaly better & cheaper than any kit.I spent hours & ££s building a 4CEP from parts & sure enough,along come Farish & puts my effort to shame. :cry:

Ray

you could try the old Lychett Manor models who do the old Gem Fleetline range

http://www.lytchettm...ocomotives.html

Cheers

Owen

Cheers mate forgot about the gem models....

You know as well as i do that the minute you buy & build a kit,along comes Farish or Dapol & they bring out the exact same model probaly better & cheaper than any kit.I spent hours & ££s building a 4CEP from parts & sure enough,along come Farish & puts my effort to shame. :cry:

Ray

Not always, you can take pride and say 'I built that!' which to me means a lot more than going out and buying a model which anyone can do! :)

PD Marsh do a range of whitemetal kit loco bodies to go on Farish chassis (some modified, some not depending on the loco).

Dean Sidings and NBrass also produce a small number of kits. Do you have anything in mind or do you just want to build the kit for fun rather than to fill a hole in your roster?

As for cheap chassis, BR Lines do a few but you are probably best getting a decent 2nd hand runner off eBay.

PD Marsh do a range of whitemetal kit loco bodies to go on Farish chassis (some modified, some not depending on the loco).

Dean Sidings and NBrass also produce a small number of kits. Do you have anything in mind or do you just want to build the kit for fun rather than to fill a hole in your roster?

As for cheap chassis, BR Lines do a few but you are probably best getting a decent 2nd hand runner off eBay.

at the moment I like the look of the Aspinall tank engine kit, but that's only as I have been looking through the links put in this thread.

something for fun but of interesting prototypical value would be good and the Aspinal fits that well. I would attempt a sentinal Shunter but it requires a Farish motor bogie from the now ancient DMU so I would pay way over the odds for one on ebay.

• RMweb Premium

There are some Japanese motor-bogies that will fit the Sentinal - being smaller than the Farish bogie they also let you cut the Sentinal down to something closer to correct size. Look for Plaza Japan on eBay. On their own they're not very powerfull but a lump of white-metal on top adds quite a bit of traction weight.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

Ray

HI

I know exactly what you mean but I have decided to build all my own SR EMUs and not buy any RTR ones.

Cheers

Paul

Archived