Design Help Needed

Sir Madog

As I grow older, I find handling N scale to be more and more challenging. It´s time for a change of scales!

I have been in love with Swiss narrow gauge lines for decades, my favourite being the Bernina Railway. Unfortunately, my space is limited, so it´ll have to be a shelf layout.

I have about 10 ft, by 18 inches available, but I have run out of ideas, how to make that layout interesting in terms of operation and scenery.

I´d be happy to get your thoughts.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what sort of cuves the Swiss narrow gauge used but it sounds a bit tight for a circular layout which would mean a BLT with the scenery stretched vertically.

I would think a BLT in the 0n3 ( or is it 0n1m?) size might be interesting. Look at DLT's postings of Charmouth then imagine it with Alpine scenery.

Don

• RMweb Gold

The Swiss are not above using bounceback stations to help gain height. A line climbs into a terminus, the train reverses and heads off out climbing above the route by which it entered, if you see what I mean. Interesting operations can be had by having trains "meet" at the terminus, especially if one or both are loco-hauled and need to run round. If rack is involved, then probably the loco will always be at the lower end of the train.

Archived