Class 47's in Large Logo Livery

D1059

I was scanning some more negatives in last night and came across this one

47 170 on Railtour Duty

47 170 "County of Norfolk" at Edinburgh in October 1980.

Now the old memory cells are struggling to recall dates. I know that 56 036 was the first large logo loco as long ago as 1978, but I thought the next was 50 023 in September 1980 when released from refurbishment. From the photo, 170 has obviously been in that livery longer than a month so the question is when did it get repainted into large logo ?

I was present at Norwich when it was named in 79, but I can't remember which livery it was in then. Was 170 the first 47 into large logo ?

Thanks

STEVE

Ah ha - managed to track some info down

47 170 was the 2nd loco to receive large logo after 56 036 around April/May 1980, but a non standard version without the wraparound yellow ends. From my shot, that didn't last too long as within 6 months it had received them.

STEVE

I'm pretty sure that it was although the transition to full "large-logo" took a while.

By February 1980, the loco had black window surrounds (with a white edge) and a grey roof. By May of the same year, the loco had large numbers and BR arrow applied and by June 1980 it was painted again, into what is recognised as large-logo. 47583 wasn't far behind, receiving large logo (with bodyside stripes) by July 1981.

47711 and 47712 came a little later than '170, with 47711 noted as carrying large logo by May 1981. I have seen a photo of '711 and '712 being painted in April 1981.

I'm pretty sure that it was although the transition to full "large-logo" took a while.

By February 1980, the loco had black window surrounds (with a white edge) and a grey roof. By May of the same year, the loco had large numbers and BR arrow applied and by June 1980 it was painted again, into what is recognised as large-logo. 47583 wasn't far behind, receiving large logo (with bodyside stripes) by July 1981.

47711 and 47712 came a little later than '170, with 47711 noted as carrying large logo by May 1981. I have seen a photo of '711 and '712 being painted in April 1981.

Thanks - the old memory is going. I lived in Norwich and being at college would have seen 170 most weeks throughout the summer while bunking maths lectures :), yet I couldn't remember the progression to full large logo livery but do remember odd details of that summer - like it rained virtually every Saturday from May till September.

STEVE

Archived