Manufacturing problems

terrysoham

These come with four wires fixed to the rear of the crossover. One wire fell off!

I have just had a hell of a job soldering it back on.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it.

Having spent a lifetime in engineering, I am staggered that the fixing of the wires on the underside of these crossovers is so poor, Peco should know better.

• RMweb Gold

You've made one post which is a rant against a manufacturer, the simple answer was to return it to the shop where you bought it and get a replacement, all manufacturing has the odd "Friday afternoon" problem, it's hardly life changing.

Some comments are justified. I don't know about the soldered wire but Peco stopped putting the small contacts on the bottom of the switch rails on their OO pointwork a short while ago, thus relying on the blade to rail side contact to conduct current - a retrograde cost cutting step in my opinion. I have had the occasional problem with new points - none with the old ones, some of which are over 20 years old.

Brit15

Some comments are justified. I don't know about the soldered wire but Peco stopped putting the small contacts on the bottom of the switch rails on their OO pointwork a short while ago, thus relying on the blade to rail side contact to conduct current - a retrograde cost cutting step in my opinion. I have had the occasional problem with new points - none with the old ones, some of which are over 20 years old.

Brit15

I knew this was the case on code 75 pointwork, does the apply to code 100 as well?

Thanks,

Colin

....... I don't know about the soldered wire but Peco stopped putting the small contacts on the bottom of the switch rails on their OO pointwork a short while ago, thus relying on the blade to rail side contact to conduct current..........

Brit15

I read recently (can't remember where) that for quite some time, maybe years, Peco have been fitting the contacts but not bothering to set them up to touch the rails and have now decided not to fit them at all.

I read recently (can't remember where) that for quite some time, maybe years, Peco have been fitting the contacts but not bothering to set them up to touch the rails and have now decided not to fit them at all.

I certainly have had to tweak many of mine fitted with contacts to make electrical continuity, very quick job with a small screwdriver, only needs doing once then no problem. The new ones without the contact either work as supplied & cause no problem or they need no end of fiddling with where the switch rail meets the other rail. Why, oh, why do they try to save money this way ? I would willingley pay the extra to ensure reliable electrical continuity. Pence only.

I used to swear by Peco track. I now sometimes swear at it !!

Brit15

Archived