John Fowler 6wDM 0-6-0

Hello,

I'm going to have a go at scratchbuilding a John Fowler 6wDM from the 1950's, but try as I might, I can't find any dimensions or specifications on this type of loco that I can scale down to suit. I have found one or two pictures of preserved examples, but that's about it!

Does anybody know of a link where I can find this info?

Thanks in anticipation,

Brass Monkey

Does this interest come from those employed at the cement works in south Wales? There is some information about these here based around my build of an Impetus kit for the standard gauge 0-4-0DH:

http://www.rmweb.co....-a-collectible/

This detailed information is unlikely to be available online (and why should it be?), but there are two preserved at Whipsnade and these may be accessible to measure which would be the best bet for an accurate model in any case. The tinwork at the front would be a challenge...

John Fowler's records are either in the Museum of English Rural Life in Reading or in Sheffield archives though whether these include spec's and engineering drawings I wouldn't like to say. Certainly, they have a number of works photographs. It's also possible that there is something in the Industrial Railway Society's archive. This information via the National Register of Archives:

http://www.nationala...ew.asp?ID=B6351

For future reference regarding research techniques, you might find this thread useful too:

http://www.rmweb.co....roper-research/

Adam

Hi Adam,

Indeed it does! The model club that I'm a member of (Barry and Penarth MRC), has quite close ties with the cement works at Cosmeston (now picturesque lakes) in that the site is actually between Barry and Penarth and a few of the older members remember it. Always thought that it would be an interesting subject since I took a walk around the lakes a few weeks back. I have become very interested in Narrow gauge locomotives recently and figured this would be a good place to start.

Thanks very much for your help with this. I had better get researching!

Brass Monkey

Some of the Fowler brochures are available on the Leeds Engine website see link in my footer.

A friend has spent hours in the archives at Reading and they seem to have the details of road locos built by Fowler whereas he seems to think the rail loco records are in Glasgow. He is planning on a trip to see what info he can get. As and when time permits details like this are added onto the LE site. It is a celebration of what Leeds has done for the World.

Excellent! I have had a look at the brochures and the operationg manual for the 100hp version. Seems to be a similar 0-6-0 within that link to whatI'm interested in modelling.

Just wondering if the 0-4-0 engine was basically the same, but with (obviously) a different chassis and a less beefy engine?

Then again I may be barking up the wrong tree!

Brass Monkey

Archived