Fitting scaledale buildings to a layout

So, I've got to the point with my layout that I'm wanting to fix my scaledale (lyddle end) farmhouse (converted into pub) to the baseboard and was thinking I would just glue it on with PVA and then bed it in with some scenic material around the base,

I will be wanting to remove it at a future date when I have space to build a larger layout but as this layout is portable I want it to be fixed firmly to the board,

so, any suggestions?

Could you fix a wooden base to the building (ie inserted inside the external walls so that it doesn't show)? If so, you could then screw it to the baseboard from underneath. I have done this with my platforms (which are actually made of wood) and have been able to remove and refix them when I wanted space to do other work. Surrounding foliage can still be butted up to the building but care is needed when refitting the building.

I can't get to the underside of the baseboard as the height of my board at this point required wide but shallow batons and it sits right above one :(

I'm sure i'd be able to pull it off and re-claim it at a later date :)

That's a pity. How about a thin base protruding outside the building through which you could screw into the baseboard from the top -probably one screw each side? Again, it could be hidden by shrubbery that would be sacrificed in order to remove the building. The bit of the base that protrudes, need be only big enough to take the screws.

Velcro?

Stick a few squares of velcro down within the building's footprint, put a false-floor in the base of the building, and stick the other side of the velcro on that.

Just pulled that out of nowhere but I reckon it could work.

• RMweb Premium

Alternatively false base in floor of the buildings with small dowels inserted to match holes drilled in the baseboard

Eltel

I use that cheapo £1 superglue that Tesco sell now and then. Just blob the hell out of the base and stick it on.

My station building stayed firm on my portable layout using this, until I dropped the whole thing (don't ask) and the building promptly popped off - so it should hold fast during normal moves but be removal when you want :)

I'm really new at acctually building a model railway but have read much.

I have just invested heavily in the Bachmann "hampton heath colliery" all 8 buildings plus extras.

The Bachmann model I belieive is based on .. Bigpit" .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Pit_National_Coal_Museum

I am thinking also to access to building internals for detailing, lighting etc.and have devised a plan.

.. measure the internal areas of each building and affix to the baseboard an internal outline in prolly plastic "L" shape.

.. The building can be removed at anytime but also be replaced exactly.

Regards.

Dave Marshall.

Just my personal view - but I don't think buildings need to be fixed down - because as a rule we ensure our layouts are not subject to extreme movement.

So for me: Whatever is the surrounding surface to the the building (a platform, garden, pavement etc) - I cut a recess through the surface material to the footprint of the building, and sit the building within that recess. The recess may only be 1mm deep - but the building won't move unless there is some violent action to dislodge it.

You mention this is a portable layout ... I'd still apply the same principle, because between moving the layout you can remove buildings and pack them for safe transport.

Guest Moria

Just my personal view - but I don't think buildings need to be fixed down - because as a rule we ensure our layouts are not subject to extreme movement.

So for me: Whatever is the surrounding surface to the the building (a platform, garden, pavement etc) - I cut a recess through the surface material to the footprint of the building, and sit the building within that recess. The recess may only be 1mm deep - but the building won't move unless there is some violent action to dislodge it.

You mention this is a portable layout ... I'd still apply the same principle, because between moving the layout you can remove buildings and pack them for safe transport.

Whilst I used to agree with this, and appreciate the common sense, from having done many rounds on the exhibition circuit I can state the following with absolute certainty...

If something is removable and has been removed from the layout, then you WILL turn up at an exhibition without it at some point :)

As a secondary issue, when packing up to go home, anything removable has a habit of being packed with not as much care as when arriving and unloading as everyone is in a hurry to go home.

I think the saddest incident I ever saw was the gentleman who had just finished a wonderful set of station buildings (about a 6 month build) and whilst loading the van with everything packed, backed the van out and after the loud crunch, we found that the box the new building was in was now under the wheels of the van.

I really recommend making everything on the layout completely permanent except the stock.

Regards

Graham

The intent with the next layout is to do the same as you have done with Frankland, but with some method of securing the buildings through the board so that they can be removed to work on but can be left securely attached.

my worry with removable buildings for a portable layout (which is stored on end) is that I'll forget to take one off causing it to rattle down between the scenic boards like a pinball machine!

Fair comments above - my approach comes from the thought that from time-to-time I will want to remove the buildings for additional detailing or for remedial work. To fix items temporarily I'd loosely screw them down, as mentioned previously.

How about double sided tape or even blue track.

Exactly - I have just used some strips of 6mm wide double sided tape to hold a Skaledale Water Tower in place where it was in great danger of being knocked to the floor. However I cannot as yet report how easy it is to remove! It is certainly well fixed just now.

Ray

Archived