The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What are your favourite sentient machines in film?

Ozexpatriate

What's your favourite robot from film or TV?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. The 'classic' sentient android

• Futura (Metropolis)
    • Gort (The Day the Earth Stood Still)
    • Robby the Robot (Forbidden Planet)
    • Model B9 Robot (Lost in Space - TV)
    • R2D2 / C-3PO "the droids" (Star Wars) .. the only characters to appear in every episode; it's all about them!
    • Ash, Bishop, xxxxx (Alien, Aliens, Prometheus)
    • Lt. Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation - TV)
    • Sonny (I, Robot) .. only made the list because of the movie title
  2. 2. Ultimate (but not always friendly) computers

• Computer / The Citadel (Logan's Run)
    • HAL 9000 / Discovery One (2001: A Space Odyssey)
    • The Great Machine of Altair IV (Forbiden Planet)
    • The Matrix (The Matrix)
    • MU-TH-R / Nostromo (Alien)
    • Skynet (The Terminator et al)
    • V.I.K.I. (I, Robot)
    • W.O.P.R. (WarGames)
  3. 3. Fun/oddball concept robot

• Cherry 2000 (Cherry 2000)
    • Fembots (Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery)
    • H-y-m-i-e (Get Smart - TV)
    • Johnny 5 (Short Circuit)
    • K9 (Doctor Who - TV)
    • Marvin (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
    • RoboCop (RoboCop)
    • Rosie (The Jetsons)
  4. 4. "Scariest" robots/cyborgs

• Cybermen (Doctor Who - TV)
    • Cylons (Battlestar Galactica - TV)
    • Battle Droids (Star Wars) ... who am I kidding? 'roger roger'
    • Daleks (Doctor Who - TV)
    • Terminators: T-800, T-1000 etc (The Terminator et al)
    • Decepticons (Transformers et al) ... I don't know why I included them
    • The Borg (Star Trek: The Next Generation - TV)
    • Vicki (Small Wonder - TV)

With the popularity of the Sci/Fi and time travel threads, here's one about robots.

My selection criteria for these choices.

1. Filmed - not just in books

2. Reasonably well known; not too obscure

3. No cartoon robots, there's just too many, so sorry, no Astro Boy, Bender, Iron Giant or WALL-E

4. Has to be a major character/plot element or appear in multiple episodes

5. Not too serious

So I didn't include examples like:

• Dr. Korby, Andrea, etc (Star Trek, What Are Little Girls Made Of) and the myriad other obscure Star Trek and Doctor Who robots like Mechanoids
  • Twiki and Dr. Theopolis (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century) ... you'd all want to shoot me if I did
  • Deep Thought or Hactar etc from H2GT2G
  • Dot Matrix (Spaceballs)
  • KITT (Knight Rider)
  • Muffit II, the daggit (Battlestar Galactica)

and many many more.

For inspiration: List of fictional robots and androids

Hope this is fun, feel free to vote, not vote, complain about my selections, list your reasons for your choices, whatever. Vote for as many as you like.

Just in case you were wondering, the full name for the Lost in Space robot is: Class M3 - Model B9, General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot.

The "new" Cybermen are less scary than they used to be - but maybe that's just time and age! As a kid, they scared the living daylights out of me, far more than the Daleks.

The first question was a bit of a hard one. Between Lt. Commander Data and the Model B9 from "Lost in Space".

The scenes were great:

1. Non-scary man dressed up as monster appears from behind a rock

2. Polystyrene rocks start being lobbed.

3. Arms start flailing

4. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

Brilliant!

The "new" Cybermen are less scary than they used to be - but maybe that's just time and age! As a kid, they scared the living daylights out of me, far more than the Daleks.

That's because all they do now is stomp around in unison like they're doing a dance routine in audition for those dreadful search for a pop star TV programmes.

There's no malevolence anymore.

G.

I cannot vote solely for the Borg.

I like the Borg, as they are purposive. Unlike daleks, cybermen and all the rest which are basically pantomine villains : 'ha ha, we are evil because we can be, and we hates everyone else'; the Borg are doing their thing for a positive reason, they aim to continuously improve and if possible perfect themselves. I am backing them to crush that puny Federation any day soon, and rip the guts out of the Q continuum. Resistance is futile.

As for the poll selections for ultimate computers, Earth is missing. It's the crucial plot element of Hitchhikers, so including Marvin and not Earth is illogical...

That's because all they do now is stomp around in unison like they're doing a dance routine in audition for those dreadful search for a pop star TV programmes.

Like this you mean?

cybermen_nemesis_2.png

There's no malevolence anymore.

Well said. As others have noted, the original cybermen were far more scary than the daleks. The Daleks just wanted to exterminate everyone. The cybermen wanted to take you apart and rebuild you into one of them.

Ironically the Borg were based very closely on the oringal concept for the cybermen (before they became just robots with allergy problems). The original 1966 cybermen were still quite organic and clearly cyborgs rather than robots.

http://1.bp.blogspot...9qU/s400/cm.jpg

Bender from Futurama

Bender would be applicable in all categories, but the OP say No Bender :(

I would love to have done cartoon robots, but there were sooo many that it was too big a task to take on in the time I had.

There are robot-centered cartoons like the ones mentioned (Astro Boy, WALL-E, Iron Giant and Futurama) and then there is a huge number of cartoons that incidentally feature robots covering everything from Scooby Doo to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and South Park (Bill Cosby, Mecha-Streisand) or Family Guy (Miley Cyrus).

Feel free to discuss them in the thread. I just didn't come up with a short list - I knew I would miss too many good ones.

Wot? No "Zen" from Blake's Seven? :O

I originally had a ship's computer list:

HAL 9000 / Discovery One (2001: A Space Odyssey)

MU-TH-R / Nostromo (Alien)

Computer / USS Enterprise (Star Trek)

Eddie / Heart of Gold (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

Holly / Red Dwarf (Red Dwarf)

Slave / Scorpio (Blake's 7) : Zen / Liberator would have worked here.

But it was too jumbled between 'serious', parody and everything in between computers that the list lacked coherency. It morphed into the 'computer' list.

Like this you mean?

cybermen_nemesis_2.png

Very good, but I was thinking more about the latest current incarnation of them. They seem to do embarassing in formation dance routines on the actual TV programme.

The stomp

G.

Where's MARVIN? It would make him even more depressed to know he had been left out.

I think I you ought to know that I'm feeling very depressed that you missed Marvin (in the third question) ... and I have this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side.

Archived