The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spitfire in S E Kent

Fat Controller

Knowing that quite a few on this Forum have a interest in, and knowledge of, aviation, I thought I'd ask a question on here. At about the same time (10:00> 10:45) both yesterday and today, a solitary Spitfire has been doing some circuits of the area between Lyminge and Stanford (just north of Folkestone) at an altitude of perhaps 1000' maximum- it's been around for between 30 and 45 minutes on both days. Whilst I'm used to seeing 'classic' aircraft flying to and from the Continent via here (most things to and from Duxford,for example), and to the single/twin pair of Spits that offer flight experiences with photos, it is extremely unusual to see such an aircraft staying around for more than a few minutes. So I've two questions:-

What's it been doing?

Where's it flying from?

Thanks in advance.

TV programme? They used to do similar for local shots for Foyle's War, for example.

Best, Pete.

Having spoken to one of my French colleagues on the way across today, this seems likely- apparently, there was a helicopter somewhere beyond sight of our village at the same time, which may have been filming the Spit.

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

The Kent Spitfire, TA805, a MkIXe, is based at Biggin Hill and regularly flies, not only for display purposes, but also as the subject of air to air photographs.

A helicopter is a good platform for this type of activity as you can easily fly with the doors off/open.

Regards

Richard

Brian,

The Kent Spitfire, TA805, a MkIXe, is based at Biggin Hill and regularly flies, not only for display purposes, but also as the subject of air to air photographs.

A helicopter is a good platform for this type of activity as you can easily fly with the doors off/open.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for that, Richard.

Don't know if it was the same one, but a few weeks ago, when I was at The Bluebell Railway, we were treated to at least 30 minutes of a Spit climbing, diving, doing rolls off the top of a climb, all in a cloudless blue sky. Wonderful sight and sound, and made the day even better!

Archived