My "U" shape track plans, that need looked at for improvements

Mark 37

Hello all,

I've been wanting to build a railway for my son for a while and although the rolling stock has been worked on I've not really been consentraiting on the actual layout. I have two plans (see below). Both "OO" and will be DCC operated.

The dimensions for largest board 2' deep and 12' long. The side boards are 18"x4'.

I have mostly large logo stock from my past but my son has stock from about 2000 onward. The plan is to run a loco+3 coaches (West Highland line style) we don't have room for anymore.

The first plan is loosly based on Crainlarich, I used set track here just to see what could fit but intend to change it to flexi for more flowing lines. Both boards (right and left) will be used as fiddle yards with the left hand side one doubling as a small diesel depot with shed and refuelling area.

post-11024-0-74499600-1339933670_thumb.jpg

This second plan is pure fiction. There is space on the left hand board for a terminus station with possible small parcels siding (not shown on plan). The centre scenic section is around 8' and the right hand boards is our diesel depot doubling as our fiddle yard.

post-11024-0-88495700-1339934136_thumb.jpg

The bottom area with no track was as a link to both side boards for a roundy, roundy. Due to delays and expence this has been binned for the moment.

As always input and critacicms are most welcome.

Best regards,

Mark

PS, I'll take on board what is suggested but may not update the track plans quickly because most of my responces will come from my phone (PC playing up, it's taken an hour to do this post).

• RMweb Premium

How old is your son? Will he accept the inability to tail chase?

It would be helpful to see how the top plan links to the fiddle yards becsuse it is unclear whether you expect a go to anywhere from or via everywhere layout or whether, for example you want to concentrate on shunting with just the occasional "through" train.

The right hand side of the lower plan seems to provide a choice of "routes" to and from some sidings but little from some of the other sidings. Is it double track?

Afraid that we probably need a bit more flesh on the bones to offer any real help.

Roundy, roundy idea. He has no choice due to space and additional expense. His only criteria has been tunnels, bridges and a station.

Top plan.

I'm still playing around with ideas. I think I may need to use one or two of the sidings as a connection to the fiddle yard. My main idea behind this will be to give my boy a run through station with sidings to bring other locos on scene.

Bottom plan.

I think if I'm not told about a better way this would remain as is with the addition of a couple of points in the terminus station area to give a run around facility.

Best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Mark

Could you possibly add/show where the platforms and any other structures are? It's a bit difficult to see how each track relates to each other from an operational point of view with only the tracks shown.

Here is the bottom plan with additional info/ideas.

post-11024-0-13027700-1339953804_thumb.jpg

As you can now see I've split the layout into three, it's the only way I can see how to fit everything in. The raised area on the left would be for a main street with station entrance with some houses modelled on our own. The second reason for this raised area was to be abble to hide 2 car DMU's under it to prevent one train into platform, same train leaves platform. The middle (Scottish scene) part would be of a typical Scottish highland scenery possibly with a small village. The right hand board would be our diesel depot for our sound locos when not being used as the fiddle yard.

With a 7 month old baby I've not had time to play around with the other plan yet.

Well I've spent my free time over the last couple of days looking at plan one. I've tried all size's of points to get a decent not over crowded plan, unfortunately the only way I can fit it is to have a single entrance and exit line, this in itself causes it's own problems. Limited length fiddle yard and also limits the amount of space available cutting down from 6 roads to only three.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I would suggest having a terminus station on the left hand board (or a through one if you do go roundy roundy). The line would then run through the centre board. On this board there could be a diesel depot behind and a spur coming off the main line at the front. This could then run to the front of the right hand board where you could have representation of an industry (like steelworks or similar) or a branch station. this would only take up the front 9" or so of this board, allowing for a fair sized fiddle yard behind (it should be possible to squeeze six tracks into 1'3"). This way, you could have freight trains running to the terminus in order to reverse to the steelworks or whatever you want to have there.

Just a thought, dont know how it would work in practice?

Alex

ps. another option to look into is multi-level layouts. Again, just a thought.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the input. I did toy with the idea of two levels but I've just not had that winning idea yet. Interesting idea to have a fiddle yard at the back of the large/widest board. That is something to really think about. My plans above do show connecting boards to have a round, roundy which i would prefer for a child. I asked someone for some help in planning so I would know what size of boards to construct but after waiting 6 months I had throw something up then work on the plan as SWIMBO was getting rather angry at having to dodge all the wood lying in our hall, so it was "U" shaped or nothing in the time frame she gave me to build something. All the hard wear and wood left over was sold on to fund ballast and other ground work requirements.

I'm going to have a play around with your ideas but all other ideas are very welcome at this planning stage.

Best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

With a maximum length of three coaches plus loco, I'd suggest you go for a really simple track plan and perhaps just opt for an L shape rather than trying to force the extra 4 feet which is going to throw in yet another set of curves, which even with 18" curves, you do lose over 3 feet off your length of the major baseboard.

Although it might not be everyones cup of tea, the simple 'modern image' terminus has a lot to offer.

As an example, take a look at 'Glenuig' on this forum, and then perhaps amplify it to represent a slightly larger terminal, perhaps with a stabling point?

Alternatively how about the railway where a lot of the pointwork is 'imagined' and is the hidden sector plate or traverser that carries out the work. This system although not everyones cup of tea, is a great space saver. It would also enable you to put in bridges and tunnels, perhaps in a more urban setting.......something I find easier to model than the more 'artisty based' country scene.

Fwiw, I learned a long time ago that I never cut timber until I know what I was going to do. It gives you far more flexibility within a given space.

Less is sometimes more.

What you lose in complexity, you gain in space, so the setting becomes less contrived and more believable.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

You raise valid points not negative ones. Just looking through my plan books to see if anything can be adapted to Alex's idea of a fiddle yard at the back. We will see where this leads too. It may not work so more opinions are always welcome.

Thanks to all so far,

Mark

Archived